Storing Power Equipment under Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
I'm running out of room.

The previous owners had a hot tub and there's a 6/3 NM run to a spot right under the deck. My thought is to convert this to a genset plug an backfeed to the transfer switch. This way I can roll the generator out from under the deck and reclaim the valuable real estate its taking up right now in the garage. I don't mind the mower being in the shed, but the generator under a wet deck (even if its covered) is a worry for me.

My thought is a little doghouse kind of shed, just off to the right of it. How do you boys with toys keep them dry when you're not using them?

One over-sized garage, two sheds (not counting my woodshed) and a covered (but open) back porch. My generator is on the back porch incidentally.

Coverd porch up off the ground would be good. The deck doesn't get a ton of Sun so I worried about condensation. Maybe if I built a locker of some sorth and stuffed it with damp-rid. Just one mouse would kill me, in there chewing on the wires for a month and I wouldn't know it untill......

That's it. I'll cut a glass top and make a coffee table out of it.

I struggle with this constantly. Some equipment is in the garage/shop under the house. Some is covered with tarps and parked in various places. I'm in the process of building an unattached garage/shop for equipment storage.

We do have a large deck on the rear of our house and I used some lumber and corrugated plastic panels to build what amounts to a roof under the deck. It slants off to one side to carry the water away. This has worked very well for us. I used to keep mowers and such under there but my tractor gets that spot now.

We made a screened-in porch out of part of our back deck. I have the riding mower nder there now.

My thought is this: When it comes to a generator are you running it to see if it still works, or to keep the gas from going bad, or the gen head from de-magnetizing, or what is the purpose?

My reasoning is I won' t drag it out once a month to start it, so I drain the fuel and keep it in suspended animation, which worked for 15 years with old unit. But if I could park it somewhere and just plug it in to run it then I'd be more inclined to do this. But is that the trade-off of having it in a damp enviroment?

Status
Not open for further replies.