Storing tractor under deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Just bought a second hand lawn tractor with snowblower and was thinking about storing it under my deck - I have the height for the distance I need. What would you do for a shed under the deck?

Just some plywood attached to the joists with PT and angled away for a roof? Something more complex? A complete shed structure?

How about drive it in, park it, and pull a tarp over it? Rick

fossil said:
How about drive it in, park it, and pull a tarp over it? Rick

I like the cost and time associated with this one, though I still need to build doors where my lattice is now to keep the white trash look to a minimum (as if that's not already a problem...)

Camo tarp. Nobody'll ever notice it, and they won't be able to target it from the air. Rick

CarbonNeutral said:
Just bought a second hand lawn tractor with snowblower and was thinking about storing it under my deck - I have the height for the distance I need. What would you do for a shed under the deck?

Just some plywood attached to the joists with PT and angled away for a roof? Something more complex? A complete shed structure?

I did something like you're talking about. I used corrugated plastic panels from the building supply to build a "roof" under the deck that slopes to the outside. I store yard equipment and firewood there.

fossil said:
Camo tarp. Nobody'll ever notice it, and they won't be able to target it from the air. Rick

It is a pretty nice tractor...

Plexiglas, then, if you mean to show it off. Camo if you want to hide it. Rick

Semipro said:
CarbonNeutral said:

I did something like you're talking about. I used corrugated plastic panels from the building supply to build a "roof" under the deck that slopes to the outside. I store yard equipment and firewood there.

2nd that. i did that under my deck. just make sure you drill holes before running screws thru, or you might crack the panel.

Just watch out for condensation if the ground is damp and you enclose it -got a tractor and truck under our barn and sometimes condesation is bad.

Think I may use the panels and some sort of flooring, leave the rest open...

CN,
check out this pole barn siding
will last and last without any of that anoying cracking..........
cost about as much as plywood
just a bit narrower
rn

We screened in our deck and it's now dry underneath.
Haven't put anything but some ladders under there yet.
You have to stoop over, so driving the tractor out could be interesting.

Yessss, went under there today - shorter than I remember, so I'll wait 'till the tractor gets here, then measure to make sure I'm not going to kill myself driving it under....

you might be able to drive under it, but it's the gettin off the tractor that might add a few lumps.

I can see myself knocking my head, hitting the gas, pinning myself, and slowly decaying under the deck while my family wonder why I drove off into the sunset with my new tractor, and what that terrible smell is.

So, let's try to avoid that anyway...

CarbonNeutral said:
I can see myself knocking my head, hitting the gas, pinning myself, and slowly decaying under the deck while my family wonder why I drove off into the sunset with my new tractor, and what that terrible smell is.

So, let's try to avoid that anyway...

that's right. and look at the dam grass, it needs to be cut. when is he going to come back home :bug:

I would never leave my tractor out in the elements under a deck. I would bet it will shorten the life of it by 25%. Build a wood shed with enough room for the tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.