storing wood by stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlore

Nov 28, 2008
south jersey
have any of you guys ever had problems with bugs in your house becuase of storing wood near your fire place. i have a friend who said her house got termites because of storing wood in her house.

I doubt the termites, but you certainly can get some bugs.

The worst problem we have is with roaches. I've never seen a wood pile that is over a year old without them. As I am getting wood from the pile, I especially watch for them and usually find lots of them under the bark. As wood dries, some of the bark will separate and those little critters like to winter there. So I just peel the bark and kill the bugs. But you still have to be careful as you bring the wood in.

Another problem we have is with moths. It is not a big problem, just trying to let you know what sort of bugs we have.

Occasionally you'll split some wood and find it full of big black carpenter ants. You certainly would not want any of those in your house! If it is during winter, they will be dormant so you can kill them. Just be sure you get all of them. Same as with roaches.

This is also why we don't like storing wood in a garage or basement. However, we do bring wood in every evening for filling before going to bed and reloading in the morning. Usually no problem, but still have to be careful.

No issues so far with bugs . . . but I only store a day or day and a half worth of wood near the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.