storing wood in barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sir splitsalot

Oct 27, 2010
Southern Ontario
Do you think that the seasoning time for wood will be dramatically increased from keeping wood in the barn ? I have attatched some pics of my stash. Lots of Locust, Red Oak, Mullberry, Ash, Elm

Attachments

• DSC03150.jpg
    DSC03150.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC03154.jpg
    DSC03154.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 551
  • DSC03151.jpg
    DSC03151.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC03152.jpg
    DSC03152.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC03153.jpg
    DSC03153.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 514
It depends on how hot it gets in your barn. Personally I think the sun and wind dries wood out fastr than being in an enclosed area. Also, I think getting rained on dries out splits faster. I know this sounds odd but, I have had top only piles covered and open to the elements and I think the uncovered piles cured faster.

Those stacks are pretty deep. Perhaps you could stack around the perimeter and then space out some single rows in between?

That stuff will burn great, given enough time.

I hope so. Its my first full season for 24/7 burning. The wood in the pics is for next year, so it will have been seasoning for roughly 13-18 months.

I store my wood in a barn, kinda. More of an implement shed really. It has a roof and 3 sides, 4th side being open with a southern exposure. Prevailing wind during the summer is out of the south so it gets decent air flow, but not great. It doesn't get hot at all. I have a lot of standing dead wood that I didn't season outside (straight to the barn), but it will have been sitting for almost a year before I burn it. We'll find out how well seasoned it is here in a month or so.

Next year's pile also went straight to the barn but will have had a little longer to season (12-18 months).

I do leave about 6" space between the stacks too.

I've toyed with the idea of making some vents in the wall for increased air flow, but this point it ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.

lukem
I hear ya. The barn was there so I thought it would just be easier to get wood from a dry barn in the winter rather than trek throught the snow to bring wood to the house. As I stated before it is my first full season at this house so it will take me a few years to fine tune the homesteading. LOL

My bil does this every year but his barn pretty drafty.

Wood much prefers air to sun or heat. That is the reason most will season the wood outdoors in the open wind and then move to the woodshed the following fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.