Storing wood in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
I purchased the house I now live in a few months ago. The previous owner stored about 3 full cords of wood in the basement as that is where the wood stove is located. While I don't plan on storing any more wood down there (except for a few days worth at a time) I don't intend to remove all of the wood that is currently down there and stack it back outside.

With that being said I am planning on framing & insulating my basement later this summer but the wood is stacked in a corner blocking my access to two of the walls. I have a section of my basement that is about 12'x12' but has a ceiling height of only about 5 feet. I'd like to just move most of the wood into that back room but am afraid of any bugs (termites,etc.) getting into the floor joists. Should I consider treating the exposed floor joists and subfloor with anything prior to stacking the wood in this back room? Or, since the wood is already inside if any bugs reside in this wood they'd already be feasting off my floor joists?

I think by now those bugs (if there are any)? would have gorged themselves to death.

Any "Bugman" would tell you to get rid of the wood as soon as possible.....Like tonight. With that said....bite the bullet and take the wood outside and loosely cover it until you are ready to burn it. Then call a Bugman and have an inspection and possible treatment....play it safe.
Mike

mtarbert said:
Any "Bugman" would tell you to get rid of the wood as soon as possible.....Like tonight. With that said....bite the bullet and take the wood outside and loosely cover it until you are ready to burn it. Then call a Bugman and have an inspection and possible treatment....play it safe.
Mike

Bugs like wet and/or/moist wood. Only insects you are gonna find in nice dry wood are spiders/and they eat insects. So if you are really concerned? Leave the spiders :coolsmirk: to live another day to do their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.