Storing wood inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I am considering making a wood "shelf" near my stove, to help drying snow covered wood, and make loading easier. My question is; How close to the stove would be safe? I plan to elevate the stack off the ground by 30 inches or so. That is mainly to keep any cinders that might bounce out of the stove from making contact with the pile. The distance from the edge of the stove to the closet log would be about 32 inches. What d'ya think???

I'd say if you follow your stoves clearance to combustibles you'll be fine. If you don't know your stoves clearances I think the default/generic rule is 36 inches.

I keep 2 cords of wood in my basement,when it runs about 3/4 of of cord low I haul in from the outside pile,It usually has snow on it so I put a box fan about 3 feet away from it and it dries in about 24 hours. I think wind will dry wood faster than heat.

Cover those stacks!

Do you have an attached garage? I move a good bunch of wood into my garage - sure makes it easier.

My first year - we stacked on the rear deck and the tarps blew off and snow got on every thing. I'd lay a bunch of frozen wood on the hearth to thaw out the next day's wood.

Good luck.

Also keep in mind what might be living in your wood that will come to life once warmed up. If you don't mind creepy-crawlies roaming around, have at it! If you do, you might want to consider keeping it in the garage, or possibly getting a cat. :)

I think you should follow the code and/or stove manufacturer and pay attention to the clearance to combustibles rule . . . and build a woodbox like I did for use in my first year . . . it's large enough and has a Rubbermaid plastic tote so that in the first year any snow or ice on the wood would quickly melt away and not make puddles or a mess.

I still keep the woodbox since it is nice to have a day's worth of wood right beside the stove for easy loading . . . but I also have a woodshed to keep the snow and ice off the wood . . . and I load up a week's worth of wood on to my covered porch each week . . . by the time the wood comes inside there is rarely if ever any snow on it . . . but the woodbox does keep things neater and cleaner.

Cate said:
Also keep in mind what might be living in your wood that will come to life once warmed up. If you don't mind creepy-crawlies roaming around, have at it! If you do, you might want to consider keeping it in the garage, or possibly getting a cat. :)

I guess those with a non-cat stove (like mine) are at a disadvantage when it comes to storing wood inside.

Incidentally, I have yet to see any bugs in the house from bringing in 24 hours worth of wood . . . maybe it's my cats playing with them . . . or maybe the bugs simply have moved on . . . or maybe they're too terrified by seeing me prance around in nothing but my boxer shorts to come out and start playing.

So no bugs . . . sawdust and woodchips though . . . that's a whole other story.

bboulier said:
Cate said:

I guess those with a non-cat stove (like mine) are at a disadvantage when it comes to storing wood inside.

Oh goodness, I'm not sure if I should laugh or correct myself... I'd best correct myself! By "cat", I meant as in feline...kitty cat...purring thing...bug-eater, not a cat stove. HA!!! My bad...

firefighterjake said:
Incidentally, I have yet to see any bugs in the house from bringing in 24 hours worth of wood . . . maybe it's my cats playing with them . . . or maybe the bugs simply have moved on . . . or maybe they're too terrified by seeing me prance around in nothing but my boxer shorts to come out and start playing.

So no bugs . . . sawdust and woodchips though . . . that's a whole other story.

My parents bring in wood that has spiders. We're talking spiders the size of small dogs here...people-eaters! Not cool. I got three of them in 2 days over Christmas. I believe with my screaming, they will keep that wood outside from now on, especially when I visit - but I can always recommend to my Dad your boxer-shorts method... :)

Cate: You should laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.