Storm a brewin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourhouse

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2006
Norfolk Ma
They're calling for heavy wind, a lot of rain and possible tree damage. I double checked the wood piles to make sure that they're covered. I brought in plenty of wood. Now I'm just waiting!

Anyone else out there in the northeast begun preparing for the "the perfect storm" yet? You know how the weathermen tend to blow things out of proportion (ie, every other storm, especially in winter, is the "storm of the century")!!!!

... High Wind Warning in effect from 5 am EDT Saturday to midnight
EST Sunday night...

... Flood Watch in effect from Saturday morning through Sunday
morning...

Come Monday when its time to go to work,

Monday and Monday Night
Mostly clear. Highs in the lower 50s. Lows in the mid 30s.

Go figure!

I will have to post some photos of the 30" snow we just got. The nice thing was it was super light powdery snow, the snow blower took it all the way down in one pass :)

You know how the weathermen tend to blow things out of proportion (ie, every other storm,
especially in winter, is the "storm of the century")!!!![/quote]

Im fully expecting sunshine and a slight breeze!

Yeah, I went out to the mooring today and tied my "oh sh1t" line around the mast... 50 foot of 1.5 inch nylon. Its not necessarily how hard the wind will blow, but more importantly that it will last for a full 48 hours. Take in those deck chairs and throw the table into the pool...

Here's my local forecast... yeeee ha!

SAT
SE WINDS 30 TO 35 KT...BECOMING S 25 TO 35 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP TO 50 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3
NM...LOCALLY BELOW 1 NM. TIDES AROUND 2 FT ABOVE NORMAL WILL CAUSE
MINOR COASTAL FLOODING AROUND THE TIMES OF HIGH TIDE.

SAT NIGHT
SW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...INCREASING TO 30 TO 40 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. GUSTS UP TO 50 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

SUN
W WINDS 30 TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 KT. SEAS 3 TO 6
FT. TIDES 2 TO 3 FT BELOW NORMAL MAY CAUSE LOW WATER PROBLEMS
AROUND THE TIMES OF LOW TIDE.

SUN NIGHT
GUSTS UP TO 50 KT
W WINDS 25 TO 35 KT. IN THE
EVENING. SEAS 3 TO 6 FT.

-- Mike

Rain in the forecast and flood warning here. Wood piles are covered. I brought some wood in to make sure I had a night or two of wood ready so I wouldn't have to go fishing under the tarps too far if one was lifted by the wind.

Matt

Good luck on the east coast. Here in the Sierras we have mid 70s forcast for the next week. No rain in sight. Im sure we will pay for this in the future.

Looks like the coastal areas are gonna bear the brunt. We can handle rain - but 60MPH winds at the coast should make things interesting. No wonder those trees along the shoreline aren't too big!

When I saw this coming I went to Orbitz to see if I could go visit my folks for a couple days - in Florida or SC! - But, fares were high....so I will get some inside work done. The shop still needs some work, Hearth.com is ALWAYS way behind on content and everything else, and I have not picked up the guitar much lately. If that all gets boring, there are books and this forum to read.

Winds in the 40's tonight for the coast of Virginia with 2 inches of rain.

Its 85 in the house right now, so all is good. And so was the dirty Martini's.

Don said-
I also moved some of my seasoned pine for my Saturday when I’m at home. Should burn quite nice

What effect does the high wind have on using your stove? Does it wreak havoc on the chimney, draft? ok to burn , I have a large double flue cap stainless steel, bolted to the crown, always wondered what effect winds would have.

DonCT said:
Haven't really noticed any change in my stove performance during windy periods. My chimney system is all interior Class A double wall. Total length around 22'. The cap is a Duravent shielded cap, so I don't know if the wind will affect it too much.

This will be a good weekend to test it out :)

Yeah , To say the least. :lol:

Looks like Beantown is just about 1 hr away from the first wave. Get your candles ready...

I am not really prepared, but just in case.....let's see - I have a good 120V inverter for my car.....my gas fireplace should work since that is underground......and, it's not really cold out yet. Between all that, we should be OK. Hopefully the internet connection will continue to work!

I'm on the south shore but about 10 miles
inland. Have plenty of candles and fresh
batteries for the flash lights.
House is 65F without any heat on right now,
so no worries if the power goes out.
Fridge is stocked with Sam Adams Octoberfest - I'm set.

Real bummer If power goes out and is not restored before Monday night Pat's game

good news is more downed trees to scrounge.
Usually after a decent wind storm I go to the DPW brush drop off and fill up my truck

EH over time?

You know it Elk. We had a meeting at work about it yesterday morning at work. Its funny how the phone starts to ringing off the hook when they call for 50-60 mph winds.

Dylan said:
Mike Wilson said:
....throw the table into the pool...

Now THAT'S what I called progressive thinking !!

It works perfectly... the wind speed at the bottom of my pool is usually around zero, so the tables and chairs don't get blown around. :coolsmile: Plus, its much easier than hauling it all around and into the garage. If a storm is just going to blow through in a day or two, I'll chuck the tables and chairs into the pool and then haul them out when its over.

Hey, there's more fun on the way... they just changed the wind forecast here to 57 knot gusts... the anemometer on the house has already measured 48 knots max, some time last night. Coffee is on, and I'm heading out to check on the boat in an hour or so... not that there's much I can do about it other than watch. Meanwhile, my 6500 watt generator is ready to go, power has dropped out once so far, but only for a few minutes.

-- Mike

We were sitting in the bleachers at the football game last night. PArking was easy. Don't know how those kids played the way they did in all that cold rain. I was freezing.

I think I’m prepared for just about anything, after that freak winter storm hit on October 12th here in the Buffalo area, no electricity for five days but plenty of heat. :)

In our more rural setting we depend on a well, and therefore electricity to run it. I filled up the bathtub just in case. Also have generator, kerosene heater, some fuel for both, wood stove insert, oil lamps, batteries, flashlights, some canned food, chainsaw (to get out of the driveway). I'm sure I forgot something.

How handy are those inverters in an outage?

Status
Not open for further replies.