Storm a brewin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never tried the inverter in an outtage, but mine is about 1200 watts so it would power a number of light bulbs or even the Pellet stove. I used it once to run a big stereo and speakers on the back of a pickup truck - with Webwidow and friends dancing to "brick house"

Hows the wind out west Craig?
It's really kicking up around here on the coast, I'd say about 25-30mph constant and gusts over 40mph.
I'm watching an 80' silver maple in my back yard, it's the only one that still is FULL of leaves and swaying quite a bit. :eek:hh:

I'm an idiot. I went out last night before it started and covered all of my newly split piles and my old seasoned pile last night with my brand new tarps. I spent the night feeling like the three little pigs waiting for goldilocks to blow my house down. Woke up this morning and found none of the tarps still on. All of my piles drowned, and high tide isn't for another hour or so, so there might be some additional flooding as well. At least tomorrow it's supposed to be dry with high winds, so that should get some of the immediate moisture off. Guess bricks are no match for 60 mph winds to hold down tarps.

Land Lubbers:

Windy, 50 knots? Rain? Sleet 'n snow? 40* F or so, temperature and barometer droppin'? Most (fudgies) scurrin' for shelter; a few tying off slappin' halyards 'n such.

Sounds like good sailin' to me... And, I've seen it.

Aye,
Marty

rainy and windy up here in maine. My tarps blew off my wood piles, but I have a good 2 day supply in the house. I thought the wind would be causing some back drafting but it's not. I have a 26' exterior masonry chimney. I have had the stove going since yesterday afternoon so I think the chimney is good and hot and the draft remains good. It is pretty chilly out as well, about 40 degrees. I have a party to go to tonight so I hope we don't lose power.

Marty S said:
Land Lubbers:

Windy, 50 knots? Rain? Sleet 'n snow? 40* F or so, temperature and barometer droppin'? Most (fudgies) scurrin' for shelter; a few tying off slappin' halyards 'n such.

Sounds like good sailin' to me... And, I've seen it.

Aye,
Marty

Slappin' halyards... NEVER! Slappin' halyards is just poor form!

-- Mike

Whose J/120 is still there, just hangin' on the moorin' ... a swingin in the breeze...........

Western MA. SoHo weather update: Warm out today, 63 degress at 5PM, heavy winds never came, black storm clouds still blowing fast overhead. Maybe tonight something will happen, so far just heavy rain in the AM and scattered storms thru-out the day. No problems here. Even made a dump run, to unload the remains of the addition scraps.

Stove is in and the shop is toastie, smells like sweet burnt toast outside, must be the corn burning.

Update in the Stoughton/Canton area:

Heavy rain throughout the day with
a good amount of wind but nothing
close to 50mph afaik. Nothing down
other than a few small branches and
a ton of leaves. Never lost power even
for a second.
Rain has subsided and its nice and
warm out there. If there weren't leaves
all over the wet ground I'd be inclined to
go for a ride on the scoot.

Cold front coming through tonight. 15 degree temp drop. It'll be heading east soon. Put on your woolies Chicago.

To all those on the east coast

I have never been there to experience a winter on the eastern seaboard and was wondering what winter was like for you guys?????? Where I live it gets cold around the middle of September (Cold enough to frost) and starts to snow around the 2nd week of October........ the snow is normally light and fluffy and it continues to snow till around the middle to end of November when it will start the mid winter cold stretch. Not much snow again until late Feburary or March, when it starts to warm again and will add another foot or two of snow. Spring melt or "break-up" comes around mid April or so. We normally get 4-5 foot of snow depending on the year and the snow is not the wet heavy type but doesn't melt until spring. It gets very cold here but the average humidity level in the winter is around 10% so it is very dry. I have seen the pictures that Craig has posted in Picture forum and it seems a very beatiful area to live
in.

april 8th, 1987, blizzard, March 93, blizzard, hauling snow out of parking lots for the city of Poughkeepsie, Oct ( forget the year but id guess 87) Operation Snowleaf trees still had leaves 20 some inches of snow, destroyed Wilcox park camping grounds, tall pines snapped and stuck in ground upside down, my buddy was acually plowing logs to the side of roads to open them up, 2 years ago collecting money for Lions Club, outside a local super, its May, Mothers Day weekend, Its hailing and snowing- brief, but the 3 hours I stood there I froze my ass off!

East coast winters can be all over the place. And as noted, all depends on ones locale. Downwind from the Great Lakes have the most snowfall. Some winterd back east can be mild and almost snowless. And some can be relentless, one dump after another.

I think this is where the saying "as fickle as the weather " came from.

Locally, we haven't seen snow for about 5 years and then it only stayed around for a day. Suppose we're due sometime for another dump sometime soon.

FrozenNorth said:
To all those on the east coast

I have never been there to experience a winter on the eastern seaboard and was wondering what winter was like for you guys?????? Where I live it gets cold around the middle of September (Cold enough to frost) and starts to snow around the 2nd week of October........ the snow is normally light and fluffy and it continues to snow till around the middle to end of November when it will start the mid winter cold stretch. Not much snow again until late Feburary or March, when it starts to warm again and will add another foot or two of snow. Spring melt or "break-up" comes around mid April or so. We normally get 4-5 foot of snow depending on the year and the snow is not the wet heavy type but doesn't melt until spring. It gets very cold here but the average humidity level in the winter is around 10% so it is very dry. I have seen the pictures that Craig has posted in Picture forum and it seems a very beatiful area to live
in.

Ron, how long have you been living in Fairbanks? I was wondering if you've lived there long enough to comment on the temp changes. My friend in Haines, sees quite a difference in their gardens. Summers have been hotter and drier the past few years.

The top of a 35 year old hemlock (I counted the rings!) blew off along the road in front of my place. I spent a good part of the day making it a lot less obvious and bring in some of the wood. Impossible to touch the still-standing part because it is near both power lines and the road.

BeGreen, I have been in FBKS about 18 years. I have noticed that the cold spells do not last as long or don't seem to get nearly as cold. The snow comes later than it used to and the normal highs are around -15 instead of -20 in the dead of winter. So the short answer is yes I have seen a rise in temperature over the last 15 years.

My father grew up around Fairbanks. He's got pictures from a big ol' blizzard in the late 60's and he was also there for the big earthquake that hit Alaska.

He used to tell stories of pranks they would do in highschool. They would set up a garden hose to spray on some ones car and leave it over night. When the person woke up in the morning, their car was covered with about 3 feet of ice :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.