Storm collar question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Not sure how to put the storm collar on. Seemed like it would have been the simplest part of installing the chimney but I just can't understand how it goes on. I bought the supervent ceiling and roof kit and it came with a storm collar with a tab that was unbent on one end and then a tab the came off the bottom side of the other end. Any help would be MUCH appreciated as I need to finish the chimney piping tomorrow. Thanks in advance,

Well after doing more of a search online, it looks as if the tab that I thought was on the bottom should be on the top, and the tab that is on the end should be bent up. SSO the bolt and but should be on top after installed. Makes sense for making it much easier to tighten up. Can anyone confirm that the storm collar tab on one end should be bent up and look like the picture attached?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382141510409.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382141510409.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 132
Can you post a pic of it ? most of them are simple but that one sounds different.

Todd

Typing at same time:)
that pic looks correct, I slid mine up on the pipe put a bead around and then pushed the collar back down into the sealer then snugged tight and sorta squeezed the sealer out and smoothed around. seal the flashing seam over lap too.

Todd

That tab is intended to be bent up so that once it's wrapped around the pipe, the bolt will go through both holes. Make sure to turn the overlap to the back so it's not visible and cover the entire bolt and overlap with silicone as well as the where the collar makes contact with the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.