Storm collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

by the fire

Aug 27, 2015
Ohio
Looking for some expert advice. New englander nc30 this year through a cathedral ceiling. 12 ft of double wall stainless. I noticed today that I have some build up on the outside edge of my storm collar? I know my clearances are to spec. I was wondering if the double wall pipe could be leaking a little into the support box and under to the storm collar?

Can you share a pic or two of the build-up?

Welcome to the site.

20160125_173854.jpg

I'm thinking that looks like some drips that fell off of the cap

Reactions: webby3650
Sounds like slow burning with under seasoned wood. Is your Glass dirty too?

Sounds like slow burning with under seasoned wood. Is your Glass dirty too?
The only slow burn is when my morning fire dies out in the early afternoon and my overnight burn. Glass never needs cleaned when it's colder out. 90% of my wood is under 20% and almost all hickory with some basswood and ash. I keep my stove temps 400-600° depending on the air temp in house.

Good deal, then I can't explain the mess being produced from a non-cat.

It's soot/creo. from the cap. Snow melts on the cap, picks up soot and such and drips down. Happens to most folks to some extent though some won't admit it.

Reactions: quotejso and pen
Status
Not open for further replies.