Storm Damage...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
The KC area got hit pretty good with some strong thunderstorms and high winds on Thursday and Friday nights. So there is quite a few localized areas of trees of Damaged throughout the city. We got quite abit of rain and hard wind but no damage in my area. But about 3 miles down the road for about a 6 block area, they must have gotten a down burst or something of that nature. So while sight seeing Friday night, I stopped at the brush dumpsite and picked up a nice littel load of Oak branches. So I went back lastnight to see if I could get another load of wood. I found nice Oak tree that lost a limb at the edge of the street. So I knocked on the homeowners door and asked him. His smile and gesture said it all "Sure take it all." So I filled up the rest of the truck with the more manageable piece's, that I cut with the Stihl 290. Went home dumped off that load and headed back with the Stihl 362 and the 25" bar, to get the rest. By the time I loaded up the rest of that tree, plus one more easy picking of Oak cut to length at the edge of the curb. I headed home. So in basically 1 1/2 hour, I had to loads of Oak sitting at the house. But there were a lot of tree service companies out in that area, there are a lot of OAK trees that took a hit in those two days. One in particular basically split it main branch it was at the leading edge of a Open area. But I bet it would have produced a Cord plus, at the base of the limb it was probaly 34-36" in diameter. Here is my last load:

55518848.jpg

e853a931.jpg

ec9499e8.jpg

Nice score. Hate to see them come down but at least they are finding a good home.

Yes, thought there would be more wood hunters out and more Craigslist Offering. But hate to see such good wood go to waste. Just wish I had more time, been already working already 28 straight days of work at work. Just got a little time to take advantage of the situation.

Great find chvymn99. I'll bet that made you sweat loading that stuff! That is some heavy wood and you'll appreciate it when it comes time to burn it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Great find chvymn99. I'll bet that made you sweat loading that stuff! That is some heavy wood and you'll appreciate it when it comes time to burn it.

Yep and even in the cooler weather that we've gotten. Those last three pieces where put on just far enough to roll them the rest of the way. And that is why the tailgate is down. I still haven't ID the type of OAK yet will look at it later on tonight. But it should be some good burning in the future. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.