1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Storm door install

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Shari, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Got tired of our front door leaking like a sieve and sometimes getting blown in with high winds. Replaced our old aluminum jealousie windowed storm door (circa 1960's) with a new Larson hidden screen storm door. Neat design on this door: Instead of just having the traditional fuzzy insulation strip it has a magnetic closure seal - like a refrigerator door seal. Also, the outer edge of the screen door curves around its actual door frame - no wind getting in there! :)

Having never / ever installed a door, the install went like a breeze!

Winds are high today.

No drafts.

Inside solid core door stays closed.

Life is good! :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. itsanaddiction

itsanaddiction Member

Loc:
    MN
    Any pic's? I need to do this and keep putting it off. Two kids under two years old will do that to ya...
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Way to go Shari, I share your joy. I just put in a 9-lite insulated Jeld-Wen steel entry door in the back of my house 2 weeks ago. Had the stove cranking when I took the old door out and had just an opening. New door is great. I picked up a new Andersen storm door yesterday and put it in today. I put in the 2000 Series storm door as the 4000 series are very heavy and was worried about the kids getting fingers caught in it. I put both in very carefully to minimize the gaps and insulated and caulked everywhere I could. I just love home renovations. I took advantage of the tax credit too. I should have done this years ago.

Jon
  4. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Sorry - no pictures but here's a link to the install video: http://www.larsondoors.com/storm_doors/how_to_install_instructions/

Yes, it IS that simple. :)

We did have to do a little shimming to square up our opening. We just used free paint sticks as shims. :)