Story from USA Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scoooter

Sep 9, 2010
Central Md
I think that most people who "want to sell wood" do not realize they have to be honest. I am not talkin about the wood guy who is processing wood for sale. I am talking about the people who want to sell out of the back of thier pickup for beer money or in my trade a tree service who has leftover product. I will openly agree there are good wood salse guys and girls but it is a bad comentary for the wood industry when people short the customer, or advertise seasoned wood and it is not.

I know of several wood sellers in our area and also know that none of them sell what they advertise. Evidently people just take them at their word. This is really sad when it happens.

Also, just this afternoon when my wife and I were coming home we passed one place that sells wood annually. Their stacking area is bare of wood. This means if and when they get their next orders they will go out to cut more and then split and deliver it. "Sure it is seasoned. It's ready to burn now!"

I've dealt with a few of the locals after moving into the area and before building up my own supply, and only one of them was 'honest'. But by that article he would be in trouble too by not selling by the cord, he sells only by a level bedfull. He tells me he suggests everyone to stack it, which I always pack it in perfect, but he says folks still just toss it in. He is also the only one I have wood from that was all relatively the same length. Some other sellers I had to stack in multiple piles of different widths they were so bad. And his is the only one so far that was really seasoned. Since he lives down the road I go by the pile all the time and I know the last wood I bought had been sitting there last year at the least. Problem is he only has about 1-2 more truckloads. But after this season I'llbe 100% on my own wood hopefully.

As far as stacking and measuring before paying, sometimes thats pretty hard, especially if you dont know where its going or stacking in different piles, etc. Sure you could stack it temporarily in one even stack but thats a lot of work for just taking a measurement!

The few times I've bought firewood I can in no way imagine any of the guys being willing to wait till I stack a cord or two of wood before I write them a check. Its strictly COD.

Well, there are all sorts out there 4 sure! My 1st buying experience (due to not being prepared for my first year of burning wood) was a guy that delivered "2 cords" of wood on pallets in plastic wrap. There were several pallets which I thought were 4X4 in size so it appeared to be about 2 cords. After he had left I got the tape measure out and the pallets were 4X3 and just over 3.5' high...so I really wound up with apprx. 1.25 cords. Called the guy and he was supposed to have come back with more although he could not believe it asn't 2 cords...he never did show up and I still have the majority of the wood sitting because it was not seasoned.

Then, I went to answer an ad in the local paper.....an ole timer that had seasoned oak. He measured the wood before I loaded up the truck and said take a little more than measured just to be sure! He was a joy to visit for the wood as he also liked to tell stories and his price was fair. Probably would have taken more from him but my friend left his saw with me for use anytime I wanted and scrounging became my addiction!

It seems we hear much more about the former and we need more of the latter for the folks that need to buy their wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.