Stovax Riva?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Anyone got one of these - particularly the Riva 40 or 55?

I am wondering what they're like for access for cleaning the chimney and also whether they would need a flue pipe or flexible flue liner all the way to the top of the cassette?

Any other tips/advice welcome.

Thanks

That line is not avalible in the US, (at least not that im aware of..)

Most appliances sold today need a liner if the flue doesnt meet cross sectional code. They run better, and are easier to clean. So no matter what it is, if its newer, i would line it.

Thanks, MSG.

The chimney we have is original Victorian, with clay liner. I don't know how good this liner is, other than the fact that it has been in regular use with a 12kW open gas fire since we moved in without any problems. I wondered whether this existing liner could be used (at least partially) - it's not as if the chimney isn't lined, but...

Cross section of the chimney (circular) is approx. 8". Length is approx. 12m (~40').

If we got it cleaned and smoke tested, and it passed, would it be possible to partially re-line with flexible liner, say 2m worth from the top of the insert and part way up the chimney? Would this work? Because the chimney is tall, there's no real way I could line it myself, and so if it needs to be lined to accommodate a wood burner then I might have to lean toward a gas insert instead, which would be a shame...

If the stove your picking out is 6" then you should be fine, 5" (or approx metric) would be cutting it close. You actually will probably overdraft on a 8" 40' tall chimney. Gas might be the way to go. Thats alot of chimney !!

Status
Not open for further replies.