Stovax Stockton 4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clud17

Sep 18, 2008
sheffield, uk
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and wood burners so forgive me if its a dumb thread.

I just fired up my Stockton 4 which is fitted with a multi-fuel grate. I'm pretty sure i'll only be burning wood so should i remove the grate and just burn the wood in the bottom of the stove? Doesn't wood like to burn in its own ashes?

i'll be grateful of any advice and i look forward to a toasty winter.

Regards,

Chris

I suggest reading the manual or talking to a dealer before changing how it is set up. Some call for a grate, some do not.

Thanks for the reply, i know the multi fuel grate on this model is removable as it says it is optional in the manual. I was curious to know if it is better for burning wood without it or does it not make much difference?

The grate raises the base of the fire about 7 inches off the bottom of the stove, therefore, all the ash/embers from the fire drop through, i presume that also means there is agreater airflow through the fire. Am i right in thinking wood burns better on a solid base rather than raised up?

Thanks for the advise

i dont know the stove, but looking at the pictures, if you took it out, wouldnt you be laying the wood on the ashpan?
if you look at the brochure, under
http://www.stovax.com/images/cms_brochures/60_StovaxStoves.pdf
"steel multi fuel stove" page 26 (or 14 of 28)
the diagram on the left of how they operate shows air movement in, and up from under the great right? and i see the grate.

but again, I'm just bored and trying to help, dont take my word as gold.

Yeh i see thre grate in the picture and it illustrates the multi fuel vesion, the wood burning version is exactly the same but doesn't have the grate. This can be purchased as an additional item if you wish to alter your fuel source (pellets, coal or other). I bought it as a multi fuel in case i wanted to use otherb sources but im likely to just use wood. It doesn't indicate in the manual if it is better to remove the multifuel grate when only burning wood. I guess the best option would be to ring the company.

Thanks for your efforts

ah, well you could call them, stovax.com under contacts, there are 2 #'s and emails.
probably your best, most accurate answer.
its UK ... local for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.