Stove = 600+ degrees and Chimney Cap = -2 degrees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick8325

Nov 25, 2013
How can the chimney cap be so cold with a fire going? It's really cold out. Stove is roaring. Just ate a whole bag of gas station kiln dried wood in 2 hours on low air intake. Secondary flames are rolling (looks like flames shooting out of the holes in the tubes). No smoke coming out of chimney. Am I doing it right? Stove is a Quad Voyageur insert and half of the room closer to the stove is 70 and the other half about 10 feet away is 62. 25' foot insulated liner. No block off plate but a ton of roxul shoved up there at the bottom and shoved down at the top of the cap. Can hear whistling sounds inside of the firebox. Dealer was here 2 weeks ago and came and removed the OAK plate on the side of the stove. Tightened the screws to the metal piece that holds the gasket inside the grove on the glass door. Last night I put the small metal cover by the front grill back on and can now noticeably control the air with the lever. Still burning fast. I have huge coal bed right now. I'm losing all this good heat the blower is putting out somewhere. I have a home energy audit on Friday and I cannot wait! Gas furnace is set to 68 and the thermostat is in the next room to the stove and still clicks on a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.