Stove and Bare wall protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Ok, here comes possible stupid question, i have a T5 that is installed proper distance from paneled walls 12 inches on a corner install pipe is 26 inches.. however i just removed paneling for room remodel. now its 12 inches from studs and insulation.. does that make a difference.

I removed paneling from the walls to install dry wall but wont be doing it till monday.. paneling looks like 1/8 inch stuff

I'd say: No. Combustible, is combustible, is combustible. If your clearance was good for the combustible paneling, it will be for the combustible underlayment. While one may be more easily ignited than another, as far as I know, no code or reg or stove mfg. specs draws any distinction.

If it's that close to kraft back insulation, I think I'd let the stove cool down.

pen

Not sure I follow your reasoning Pen. Would you feel different if the kraft paper were the facing on sheet of wallboard ? Why is that distinguishable from the original paneling that was removed? To me both of those examples would be the same thing as paper faced insulation. If you've got a clearance that (presumably) does not generate 185 degrees F. surface temps on the original combustible paneling, I'm thinking that the paper is in no danger, within a good margin of comfort. Or am I not getting something here? Thanks.

Oh you are absolutely right plough. The spec sheet says clearance to combustibles. They never specify which types that I have seen. I would personally err on the side of caution here, it's up to the OP is he wants to keep burning or not. I don't know everything about the install so for advice, I'd rather be cautious here. When I redid the wall behind my stove I couldn't believe how bad the kraft paper was (even for being under dry wall) for simply being near the stove. It was FAR more deteriorated than anywhere else in the house.

Just had a well known business of 50 years in my area in amish country go up in flames "fire chief believes the fire got its start in the back of the business in the area of a wood stove that heats the building." http://bradfordcounty.wnep.com/news/news/fire-hits-bradford-county-business/56653

pen

Im not gonna burn with it like it is.... was just wondering if any difference. i took readings with IR thermometer and highest on the paper was 109 lettin fire go out till drywall in place. thanks for the info guys

You'd probably be just fine, but I personally wouldn't either unless I had something to lean up against it like some wonderboard or something just to be cautious.

pen

Yeah, I guess I probably wouldn't either. Something about all that crinkly brown paper, you know? Just LOOKS like a house fire. There might also be something to the idea that a kraft paper backing on wallboard, backed by the thermal mass of the gypsum, won't heat as high. I dunno. But as you say Penn, "burned is learned."

ploughboy said:
Yeah, I guess I probably wouldn't either. Something about all that crinkly brown paper, you know? Just LOOKS like a house fire. There might also be something to the idea that a kraft paper backing on wallboard, backed by the thermal mass of the gypsum, won't heat as high. I dunno. But as you say Penn, "burned is learned."

The other thing is, for many walls you won't find the bats stapled in, there could be the potential for a bat of insulation to fall off the wall and lay across the stove and light the kraft back that way.

pen

ploughboy said:

Not a lot of difference between that kraft paper and the outer paper on drywall . You are fine as long as the required clearances are honored.

Status
Not open for further replies.