Stove and Pipe temps for Morso 3450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
Not wanting to hijack the other topic post I thought I'd start one of my own, but with all this talk of stove and stack temps it got me thinking about my Morso 3450. The manual says nothing about stove top and pipe temps for optimal running, so does anybody know where I should be running these. I use a Condar Chimgard Thermometer on the pipe, about 18 inches above the stove and try to keep the flue in the orange area (250-475) while burning. I believe the instructions with the thermometer said to place it on the pipe rather than the stove, where I guess I would expect much higher temps.

Any tips or other peoples experience with these thermometers would be much appreciated - just want to be sure I'm burning at the optimal and safe range.

I have been going by the recommendations Morso has in the stoves manual.
A few feet above the stovetop is where my thermometer is.

babalu87 said:
I have been going by the recommendations Morso has in the stoves manual.
A few feet above the stovetop is where my thermometer is.

Babalu,

Does your manual have temps in for teh stove and pipe? Mine doesn't. Maybe I'll check out the manual for your stove and see what it says.

Pipe temps
I talked with the people at Morso and they said the only way to tell if your stove is performing properly is through the use of a stovepipe thermometer and ideally that reading should be taken from 18-24" above the stove

Morso stoves are rated at 272 C flue gas temp which is 522 F.

Flue gas temps and stove temps are related but not one in the same correct?
Where did you get the 522 temp. specs from?

I'm not spending the money for a probe thermometer anyway ;)

This is essentially the same stove that I have, except mine is the 3410 (non convector, radiant, non-soapstone model). With the owls on the side. Known affectionately as "The Owl".

Haven't had a chance to get it as hot as 522F yet. Here's wishing for a cold snap so that I can really get "The Owl" cranked :)

john

Hey it's America, no one has time to read the manual.

begreen - thats funny. Unfortunately true also.

Bushfire - don't sweat formalities (at least not with my posts, I just ain't that serious of a guy)
I'm just glad this (or other) threads are bringing up the topic. My bet is, we will see LOTS of different answers. I would ask one specific thing - when quoting stack temps, please include if it is from a surface mount or probe therm. That will keep things on an even keel.

*****ARRRGH..... I've been shot*********

Regards,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.