Stove base and wall shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
Re-installing the wood stove this year and need to construct a base and wall shield for it. It is being installed into a space that was an 8' wide door from the old kitchen to LR, so I can go metal stud, etc. I know I will need a 1" airspace against the wall. What else, beside the stove manuf directions would be required? It is a 2550 Encore.

I want the base to be as thin as possible. It is a wooden floor. I'm thinking 1/2" cement board, 5/8" sheet rock and a 1/4" steel top. I may face the wall shield in the same way. I have a plasma cutter, welder and a local powder coater and think it may come out pretty well. No powder coating on the base, of course.

Suggestions gratefully received!

You will need a minimum airspace of 1" ABOVE & BELOW that wall protection so as to allow for air movement.
You don't want sheetrock in there. It has a paper coating & paper is combustible. You'd be better served with Micore.

Is this for the Encore 2550? As long as the stove has the bottom heatshield it looks like basic protection will suffice. Drop the sheetrock, it definitely does not belong in a hearth base. Instead make your hearth pad out of 3/4"plywood, 1/2 Durock NexGen, and tile on top of that. If you go metal studs for the wall, you have the option of skipping the wall shield by building it in. With metal studs there will be no need for an air space as long as you ventilate the tops and bottoms of the stud cavities behind the stove. A simple 2" x 14" register per top and bottom cavity will suffice. Use the same cement board for the wall behind the stove, no sheet rock, at least not behind the stove. The cement board needs to be at least 30" wide, centered on the flue, but can be the full wall width and at least 10" above the stove top.

Status
Not open for further replies.