Stove Birds...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So every year (almost) we get these little black birds that fly down the chimney and into the stove. I have not put any type of bird restriction wire mesh at the top because I do not want to take any chances of creosote build up. We do have a rain cap that blocks if off from any type of larger bird.

My question is: is there any type of a scent that could be placed in the firebox well it is not in use so that birds would not want to check it out as a possible nest? That way we could remove it if we want to use the stove at night.

Maybe mothballs?

How do they get out of the stove?

;-P

While the one last year just got removed after i shot him with my soft air pistol at close range. Home intruder = shot. Small intruder - small gun (you get the idea). The year before I captured it in a shoe box and let it go outside, only to have it fly right back in (almost sure it was the exact same one). Soft air gun was quick and did not damage the fire bricks. A little harder on the bird though.

Sounds like not too swift swifts. The best prevention for creosote build up is dry wood and a hot enough fire. Could you put up a summer screen wire-tied in place? If not a screen, maybe cat pee? :sick:

I have held off the summer screen thing because it always only happens at this time of year, must be when these little things are looking to nest. We could still be using the stove at this time of year as it will only be 3C tonight.

Just put the screen up for about a month at this time of the year, shouldnt be a creosote problem for just that short time.

Yeah, about a week ago the cold stove caught my attention when I saw a dust (ash) storm inside. Turned out it was a small bird stirring up the ashes. I waited to see if it would fly out the way it came in, and an hour or so later it was nowhere to be seen. I cleaned out the mess of flying ash and checked the tee to see if there was a bird or nest in the pipe. After that, I inspected the inside of the stove with a flashlight, and there it was looking right at me from above the door. Now I had to decide how to get it out. I figured that the pipe it came in through wasn't the answer, so I spent the next 2.5 hours working with the limited resources I had. I took the pipe apart and placed a rigid laundry bag where the pipe connects to the stove and shoved rags in the front of the stove above the door everywhere but where the bird was. Then I took a rag and chased it through the top of the stove into the laundry bag. Then I brought it outside where it flew away.

Of course, after that, I spent plent of time trying to figure out how to prevent that from happening again without the risk of a creosote-covered screen. I appears that Metalbestos doesn't make a screened cap (and I coudn't find anything that fit properly), so I may need to have something custom made. Any ideas would be apprecicated.

Well in this case there is a happy ending for bird, stove and owner. A friend was over who insisted he would just grab the bird and release it! Against my wishes he went and opened the stove doors and tried to grasp the bird. Big surprise the bird flew right past him and into the house. Owner (me) is now PO'ed and concerned for the contents of my house (i have heard that a frightened bird can make a real mess in a house). He hit a few windows and then was able to fly out of one of the opened doors.

Lucky for me, bird (and friend). When my broken leg (femur) heals up I will go up top and inspect chimney for year end and look at putting some sort of screen up there. Oh yeah, the broken leg thing is why i wanted something I could put in the firebox for now

I understand your current situation and not being able to get on the roof, but when that changes I would suggest a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth wrapped around your cap. That is exactly what I use, and it has NOT caused any kind of buildup. NONE! Keeps them little birdies out too.

I would imagine that 1" wire mesh won't get clogged with creosote, and is likely a LOT cheaper than any spark arrestor or creature cap you're gonna find.

Jags - are you talking about something I would call "expanded metal" or would you be able to post a pic (or link a website with a pic)? Also in light of my current situation, how about you send me that chair in your avatar?? :coolsmile:

KarriOn - this black bird that came in would pass thru 1" mesh, so I think I need something smaller, but thank you for the idea's

Hardware cloth is the fancy name for wire mesh ("screen")...individual wires woven together into a rectangular matrix. Comes in a range of materials and mesh sizes and wire gauges. Expanded metal is stamped/stretched from a solid sheet of metal. Again, a variety of patterns/materials,weights are available. Most typically it has been slit & stretched to form a diamond shaped pattern of openings. I'd think a perfect flue screen would be a simple open cylinder of 1/2" mesh stainless steel hardware cloth. It comes in rolls of different lengths, and is sold retail by the foot or the yard, like fabric from a bolt. Rick

Rick nailed it. Here is a crappy pic for you:

Attachments

• welded_wire_mesh.summ.jpg
    welded_wire_mesh.summ.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 172
Wish I could have gotten up there and put something like that on! As I thought, he came back - hard to tell if it's the exact same one, but sure looks the same!! Now he needs to go :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.