Stove Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlett920

Feb 15, 2008
Fort Scott Kansas
Can you have too big of a blower on a wood stove or is bigger better because my brother just ordered a 460 cfm blower for his 2000 sq ft century wood stove?

If it's variable speed, he'll be just fine with it...he'll figure out what speed works for him in his application. Gee whiz, a decent kitchen range vent hood will move 600 CFM on high speed. Rick

I think that's a pretty good idea Say he wants 200 CFM. He can get that airflow - quietly - with an oversized blower. One sized for 200 CFM will be operating at maximum speed and therefore be comparatively loud.

I doubt you can cool the stove enough to impact burn efficiency. The burn efficiency is based on airflow (inlet and draft) and not the temperature of the stove wall. You would minimally increase heating efficiency as the temperature differential from the fire itself to the wall of the stove would increase. That's why you get maximum heat from high blower speeds.

That is a good point EngineRep - a big blower turning slowly will move more air with less noise than a small blower moving full blast. Also, large fan blades moving slowly are quieter than small fan blades moving fast - so in general opt for the biggest / slowest blower you can.

With that said, I think my blower tops out at 320cfm (I need lots of hot air to heat my 70's rambling ranch - where radiant heat only works for the few rooms closest to the stove) I have never known it to have any significant impact on the fire. In most any modern stove, the combustion (and secondary combustion) takes place inside a firebrick lined chamber - so you can't really directly cool the fire even with a big blower. I suppose you might pull enough heat out that you loose some of the 'draw' of the flue, but I would think that would take a monster blower.

hedgeburner said:
...it is not a variable speed but you can change that right by adding something between the cord and the blower right?

Dunno. Seems like one should be able to find some sort of appropriately-rated solid-state speed control device for that AC motor, but I'm not an expert at such things. I'm a Mechanical Engineer because electricity is too scary. :ahhh: Rick

Yes. If you switch the plug where you would have the fan plugged into with a fan speed control wall switch like you would have for a ceiling fan. The only thing i do not know is if slowing the speed of the fan could do harm to the fan.

I think Fossil is correct. If it is solid state it will "chop" the current and should do no harm. Check out...

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/kbwc.htm

I don't think most small fans use start or run capacitors but I'd like to see a EE weigh in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.