stove board (ember protection only)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

munkyboi

Jan 18, 2014
New York
hi all,

i am getting a stove that only requires ember protection and i am trying to find a stove board that is simple and minimal looking.

i am thinking about a simple sheet of black steel that is cut to the exact required dimensions according to the specs of the stove and the safety code of my town.

is there any place that sells such a thing or do i have to find a blacksmith to custom fabricate one?

any other idea of a stove plate that would serve the same purpose? (ember protection only with minimal details)

thanks,
m

I saw they have a "stove board" at lowes that comes in a couple different sizes. It's made by imperial and has an r value of .5. That's something quick and easy to throw under there and it's already finished with black stippled sheet metal (or something of that nature)

nice diy option with the durock.

does anyone know if the imperial board is actually metal? also, is it smooth or does it have some kind of pebble texture like those hearth pad that i see at the store?

i called a local blacksmith and i am waiting for a quote on fabricating a custom plate.

thank you all.

You do not need a blacksmith to fab this - just a steel shop. Purchase the steel plate by the Lb. and if you don't have access to a torch or plasma cutter take it and have it cut to the shape you want.

it's called diamond plate or some call it boiler plate.

You do not need a blacksmith to fab this - just a steel shop. Purchase the steel plate by the Lb. and if you don't have access to a torch or plasma cutter take it and have it cut to the shape you want.

it's called diamond plate or some call it boiler plate.

yeah, i contacted a local steel shop and they are able to fabricate one and paint it in flat black for me. now i just need to confirm the measurements with jotul/dealer. thanks all for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.