Stove board Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ross85

Sep 25, 2011
MA
Hello,
I'm looking at getting a Century CW2500 insert. (http://www.century-heating.com/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=522)
My hearth does not extend beyond the opening of my fireplace. See pic. The red in front of the fireplace is just tile with wood floor under it. I am also looking to buy this 24x48 R-Co stove board to put in front of the fireplace.(http://www.rcoproducts.com/rcostoveshield_main.htm). However much of the insert is sticking out of the fireplace will be resting directly on the stove board. I called the manufacturer today and they said that you can place the insert directly on the board. They said they didn't have this in writing anywhere and that the board had an r value of about 2.8. Has anyone ever had to do something like this? The manual for the stove calls for a floor protector in FRONT of the stove to be an r value of at least 1. It doesn't say anything about an R value UNDER the stove.

Attachments

• 2011-09-17_15-05-49_319.jpg
    2011-09-17_15-05-49_319.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 228
Welcome, I just had a Pacific Energgy insert installed on Friday... It fits real nice and the blower is the only portion that extends out of the fireplace. Though I haven't actually had a fire, since its 80raining and 100I percent humdity. I'd post a pic, but due to the picture size I can't figure how to post it.

I looked at both the manual and the stoveboard, as well as the construction of the insert with the blower and the air circulation under the stove.

I would have no problem trusting the manufacturer's statements about putting the insert down on that stove board.

Thanks for the replies.

Milt,
Are the bottoms of the inserts made to not get as hot as the rest of the stove?

I think that is safe to say. There is a lot of fire brick, metal plate, and air space above the bottom sheet metal on your insert. The air will be circulating, even with the fan off. The hotter it gets, even with the fan off, the more air will circulate. The manual says to be careful not to block that flow. With the fan on, the bottom sheet metal will likely be warmed up to the air temperature passing over it. It will be sitting on an insulated stove board, on top of tile on top of thinset, on top of wood. I trust the manufacturer on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.