Stove "burning" but barely throwing heat!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRRifleman

Jan 25, 2011
southern New Jersey
Hello!

With some major league tinkering, I have gotten my stove to "burn" "Nation's Choice" pellets, but not reliably. While it is burning, I am barely getting more than a 2" flame and I can't feel heat being thown much more than 4 or 5 feet from the stove. The blower motor is running. Is this indicative of a pellet fuel issue?

Thanks!

You've tried other brands with better results? If another brand works better, then the match between your stove and Nation's Choice may not be good.

Ed,

To get right to this, Its the Nations Choice-(AKA Inferno's) pellet. Worst pellet I have ever burned! I am sure many will agree? So if you can find another retailer that sells something decent? Pick up a couple of bags. This should tell the story and your GF55 will thank you!

Hello

With my well insulated house, I can heat the whole house up hot (72 Degrees) when the temp is 20 degrees F outside with pellet stove's Heat and Fan set to 3. Heat setting 3 = 3.22 pounds per hour and the convection blower speed of 3 is 135 CFM with the temp of the air coming out of the stove at 300 degrees F. This is using premium wood pellets at approx 6% moisture content!!

Below are the Avalon Astoria specs. You can make a couple charts like this for your stove, then we all can compare to see if your stove is putting out Good heat!!

Convection Blower
Fan
Speed   Volts AC   CFM
6       110       165
5       105       157.5
4       100       150
3       90         135
2       85         127.5
1       70         105

Heat       Burn
Setting   Rate (Lbs/Hour)
   1          1.7
   2          2.46
   3          3.22
   4          3.98
   5          4.74
   6          5.5

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 362
Don2222 said:
Hello

With my well insulated house, I can heat the whole house up hot (72 Degrees) when the temp is 20 degrees F outside with pellet stove's Heat and Fan set to 3. Heat setting 3 = 3.22 pounds per hour and the convection blower speed of 3 is 135 CFM with the temp of the air coming out of the stove at 300 degrees F. This is using premium wood pellets at approx 6% moisture content!!

Below are the Avalon Astoria specs. You can make a couple charts like this for your stove, then we all can compare to see if your stove is putting out Good heat!!

Convection Blower
Fan
Speed   Volts AC   CFM
6       110       165
5       105       157.5
4       100       150
3       90         135
2       85         127.5
1       70         105

Heat       Burn
Setting   Rate (Lbs/Hour)
   1          1.7
   2          2.46
   3          3.22
   4          3.98
   5          4.74
   6          5.5

I just wantedto add that those numbers that the manufacturer gives us is more like an estimate. I had just started a new spreadsheet to try and figure out my usage by brand and heat setting not just setting alone. For instance setting one for me is 1.96lbs/hr...burning Blazers it is more like 2.7 and Curran's Blend it is 3.2. I am soon going back to see what MWP's come up with and am betting it is closer to the factory number...just a guess on heat output.

Also, Nations choice (Inferno's) are the worst I have seen. I burned a lot of them both last year not knowing what the were and that they were the same company. My first hint was I had to turn my stove up to Over 5lbs/hr to get any heat....and then a massive clinker.

IHATEPROPANE said:
Also, Nations choice (Inferno's) are the worst I have seen. I burned a lot of them both last year not knowing what the were and that they were the same company. My first hint was I had to turn my stove up to Over 5lbs/hr to get any heat....and then a massive clinker.
Those who like massive clinkers in the bottom of the pot each day may also like Instant Heat. Started this season with 10 bags from TSC. Argh. Biggest clinkers I've ever seen. (Since then they've had some Green Supreme which are decent in my Santa Fe.)

whit said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
Those who like massive clinkers in the bottom of the pot each day may also like Instant Heat. Started this season with 10 bags from TSC. Argh. Biggest clinkers I've ever seen. (Since then they've had some Green Supreme which are decent in my Santa Fe.)

I was pleasently surprised by the Green Surprise this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.