Stove cap to reduce/eliminate backdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SteveVasil

Nov 3, 2017
Greetings,
I'm new here, but have been heating my house with a wood stove for many moons. I have a nice Dutch Masters stove with a straight 8" pipe exiting my 2'nd story roof; I clean the stove and pipe at least once a year. I presently have a stationary cap on top which lets out smoke alright and keeps water out. Occasionally, I get a little back-puff of smoke out of the stove-not all of the time, just occasionally. I'm interested in a cap which might help with this. My father has one with a rotating mechanism which he says eliminated the same problem. The company which made this one went out of business, so getting another is not an option. I'll bet there are other folks who've experienced pretty much the same thing and I'm hoping for some helpful info. I'm hoping for easy installation/removal for cleaning, and this grows increasingly important as the years pass. Thanks in advance.

I believe your talking about a vacu stack. I have no experience on it, but do some reading on that
Thanks, yes I have read about those-was hoping for confirmation that they work nicely before dishing out the money for one. Was also curious about ease of installation if anyone else here has one.

An occasional puff of smoke spilling out might have other causes that could affect draft. Is the house particularly tight and well sealed? What are the conditions like when it does spill smoke? Is it windy? Is the outside temperature mild? Is there an exhaust fan running at that time (kitchen, bath, clothes dryer)? This can also happen on windy days due to the chimney location and sometimes local geography.

The house isn't tight. No exhaust fan. Since my dad experienced something similar with his similar set-up right across our hill, I believe I'm on the right track looking for an appropriate cap device. He's a retired engineer who confirms the same challenge. Thanks.