stove/cast iron seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoxman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2010
STL City
I just picked up a barely used XL late 80's Federal Airtight on CL for a pretty good deal. I will be getting rid of the 1986 VC defiant/encore because the refractory has to be replaced again. It has been unused in a garage for the past 10 years and it had a few minor surface rust spots. All I did was rub some cooking oil into the cast and it took care of it. I treat my smokers with oil and it works well even when uncovered. Will this work much like I season my cast iron pans? I have never had a non porcelain coated stove and I don't want to paint...so coat the cast iron with oil a few times a year?? TIA

just normal black cast iron. I have no idea if it was ever painted or not, it does not appear to have been, but the cooking oil took care if the minor surface rust. I season my skillets and smokers with oil so I cant imagine it would hurt. I might try some wd40 and run a few fires outside.

I've never heard of seasoning a cast-iron stove, but I learn things all the time. I have a cast-iron stove, never done anything to it.

My mother has a very old summer cottage with a very old Franklin-style stove which is cast iron. Once a year, she treats it with stove black. Just because she always has. It does make it slightly "blacker" when she does. Someone once told me that stove black is just some sort of carbon particles in a volatile solvent, and that makes sense, but don't quote me.

I've heard of several folks doing this but it is something we never have done except for my mother's old cook stove and that was many moons ago.

First time I ever heard of anyone seasoning their cast iron stove . . . cast iron cook-ware sure . . . but stoves . . . never. Most folks use stove polish or paint.

geoxman said:
I just picked up a barely used XL late 80's Federal Airtight on CL for a pretty good deal. I will be getting rid of the 1986 VC defiant/encore because the refractory has to be replaced again. It has been unused in a garage for the past 10 years and it had a few minor surface rust spots. All I did was rub some cooking oil into the cast and it took care of it. I treat my smokers with oil and it works well even when uncovered. Will this work much like I season my cast iron pans? I have never had a non porcelain coated stove and I don't want to paint...so coat the cast iron with oil a few times a year?? TIA

6432280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.