Stove cement setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
Hello, Quick question here....What is your usual time/recommendation for allowing stove cement to setup before re-firing up the wood insert.
I installed a basic blocker plate today and patched up the adapter with the stove cement.

what does the manufacture of the cement recommend?? wouldnt want some cement that is gonna fail cause didnt wait long enough for it to set up before tempering with heat.

Yeah I know it does say 24 hours on the label , but I'll be honest, I am going to wait it out tonight, but I was looking for others experiences as well with stove cement.

Unless the instructions say otherwise, I'd let it sit the recommended time, then light a smallish fire the first time. That is what the stuff I used a few yr. back said to do. Mine worked fine that way. Don't recall brand......

Interestingly enough, almost every member on here will first ask what the instructions say, and then suggest you follow them, at the very least... ;-)

As long as you start with very small fires, it should be fine. I can recall us lighting a fire in a stove only about 4-6 hours after putting on the furnace cement and we had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.