stove cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Why do they use stove cement on some gaskets and use the liquid gasket adhesive for others? Im replacing the gasket on the top of my stove and from factory the used cement . Can I use the liquid adhesive or cement ??
Marked in yellow is what im taking off and replacing the gasket under the lid.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1378855833978.jpg
    PicsArt_1378855833978.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I don't know but I HATE stove cement. Find it easier to work with if I set the tube in a pan of warm - hot water for a few minutes before starting to work with it.

They have to use furnace cement in points that get the hottest. They can get away with the liquid stuff for gaskets where it doesn't get as hot like door gaskets. Silicone works for door gaskets and it vaporizes at 800 degrees. Ya want more than that for a stove top.

Ok after i put new cement and gasket in how long do i wait to bolt the top back on ? Right away or wait till it dries ?

Follow the directions for the product.

Doesnt say about gaskets only says wait at least an hr before bringing up to temp.

With furnace cement you put it back on right away. You need a couple of small fires to evaporate the moisture out of the cement. Putting it back on will compress the cement and take out any air voids.

Should i set it in place without bolting it down or bolt it in ? Its 1/4 gasket how thick of a bead of cement should i lay ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.