Stove Cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
This will be my second year burning and I noticed that much of the stove pipe cement going from my pipe into my draw collar (www.drawcollar.com) has cracked/crumbled ..... Is it normal to have to re-adhere cement annually?? FYI - I am using Hercules High Heat Furnace Cement. Also is it better to have it adhere and dry naturally since I am not firing her up just yet?

picture of my setup --->
1-DSC03315.jpg

If you put extra cement on it will flake off but I've never had a problem with it in over 50 years. Put it on, put the pieces together and wipe off excess with a damp cloth; end of job.

I believe it is still best to cure it with a small fire.

I had a similar issue using Rutlands. I cleaned and reapplied and it seems to be holding now. So yes it does happen but I attributed my issue to not using enough, or the surface not being as clean as it should have been when first applied.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.