Stove Choices - Need Your Input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
I'm actually asking this question for a friend who is looking for a stove to heat his garage. There are four choices in the area that are within his $1000 budget. Wondering if you can comment on which one you'd choose.

Vermont Castings - $925
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/hsh/4157975723.html

Lopi - $500
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/hsh/4118287957.html

Whitfield - $75 (not running, but may be a great deal - he's an auto mechanic so I'm sure he can get it to work, but we don't know what typically goes wrong with this model, to guesstimate cost of parts)
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/for/4169353610.html

Winslow PS40 - $1000
http://catskills.craigslist.org/for/4169166023.html

Thanks in advance!

Note, stoves in a garage are dangerous due to gas fumes and against code in most places... might want to check into that before he goes out and buys anything.

As a pi40 owner (insert model of ps40) I would not recommend it against better options...it heats fairly well but if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't buy it again. That said, I have no experience with the other models listed.

The only brand I can comment on is the Lopi - I've had mine for only 5 years and it really is a horse. Only had to replace the igniter once. From the pics of that Lopi it looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the description says it was used to heat a vacation home which means it wasn't getting the constant 24x7 use that we put ours through. I hope mine looks that good after 20 years. Best of luck.

I have a Winslow for about 1.5 years ...no problems and throws good heat. We Lennox owners are in the minority here ..my 2 cents

Note, stoves in a garage are dangerous due to gas fumes and against code in most places...
Color me confused. I'm not sure how a pellet stove operating in a garage is any different than those large gas forced air heaters you see in any shop anywhere. Unless it's a case where those gas heaters are on the ceiling away from any potential fumes. Is that it?

I think the briansol's point is that is against most local codes and ordinances. check with the local building department for clarification. I know you cannot install one in the garage in my neck of the woods.

Color me confused. I'm not sure how a pellet stove operating in a garage is any different than those large gas forced air heaters you see in any shop anywhere. Unless it's a case where those gas heaters are on the ceiling away from any potential fumes. Is that it?
Those are dangerous as well. AS above, check codes. open flame + fumes = accident waiting to happen.

Those are dangerous as well. AS above, check codes. open flame + fumes = accident waiting to happen.
Which gets me back to trying to understand why any local mechanic in your neighborhood has at least one big - ass gas forced air gas heater in his repair shop surrounded by cars that might have leaky gas tanks, dripping oil, and who knows what, but pellet heaters in a home garage are the target of scrutiny.

The other part of this equation is his homeowners insurance company may not cover him with a garage installation.

Which gets me back to trying to understand why any local mechanic in your neighborhood has at least one big - ass gas forced air gas heater in his repair shop surrounded by cars that might have leaky gas tanks, dripping oil, and who knows what, but pellet heaters in a home garage are the target of scrutiny.
Structures with bedrooms are more tightly regulated. Your friend might be OK if it's a detached garage.

Also, because the fumes are heavier than air some places allow open flame devices if they are elevated 3 or 4 feet above the garage floor. I don't know if this would include solid fuel devices.

Like others have said, check with local authorities and homeowner's insurance.

Structures with bedrooms are more tightly regulated... Also, because the fumes are heavier than air some places allow open flame devices if they are elevated 3 or 4 feet above the garage floor.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I suspected. Thanks for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.