Stove Chow at HD....interesting info on bag

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Finally stopped at HD today to pick up some supplies, and wandered over to the pellets (oink!).

They are currently stocking Stove Chow and Fireside Ultra....about a truckload of each so far, and the F.U. came in yesterday.

I took some pics of the Stove Chow bag, and have some comments:

1. Previously, I wasn't sure where they were made, but this seems to clear that up. :roll:

2. I'm curious what species "white wood" is, and is it soft or hardwood, or both???

3. Interesting statement "No trees are cut to make Stove Chow"......if that's the case, maybe this stuff isn't wood at all. :ahhh:

4. Ash % is "less than 1%"....so it could be .99% making them just about as good as the wonderful Infernos and Lake Region.

I guess Jay & I will be giving them a test this fall to see ( I bought 4 bags for us to try out).

There is a website listed on the bag for those of you who want to look further, but once you click on the web-link, your hopes will be dashed:
www.stovechow.com

Oh, and BTW, the smell these pellets have is something I can't identify. I've smelled it before, but have NO idea what kind of wood(s) it is.....not a bad smell, but different for sure.

Attachments

• Stove Chow Bag-frt..jpg
    Stove Chow Bag-frt..jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 3,088
  • Stove Chow-PFI stamp.jpg
    Stove Chow-PFI stamp.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Stove Chow Bag-Co name.jpg
    Stove Chow Bag-Co name.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,892
  • Stove Chow Bag-Info.jpg
    Stove Chow Bag-Info.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,950
Pete, You have a way of finding the tough ones! I searched all last year for them. How much were they selling them for?

You know those Premier softwoods you were burning last season. The stove chow is the same pellet, But the US version. Premier is somehow related to Energex. I think its the brand they sell to the BB stores. So are the Fireside Ultra's but they are hardwoods. I think the FU are comming from Canada this season, And I would try some as they will be a better pellet.

What brands you looking for so we can meet and do our usual trade? :)

j-takeman said:
Pete, You have a way of finding the tough ones! I searched all last year for them. How much were they selling them for?

You know those Premier softwoods you were burning last season. The stove chow is the same pellet, But the US version. Premier is somehow related to Energex. I think its the brand they sell to the BB stores. So are the Fireside Ultra's but they are hardwoods. I think the FU are comming from Canada this season, And I would try some as they will be a better pellet.

Their selling them $4.56/bag...$229/ton, but have their "buy more, save more" promotion going on, so as far as I can tell, if you bought 5 tons, they would be $189/ton.

Yes, I looked at the FU bag, and it said "product of canada". As for being a "better pellet", from what I saw of your testing results, I don't want the FU either.

As for what pellet I'd like to try, either the Vermont Wood Pellet, Hamer's Hot Ones, or maybe even Dry Creek......very curious about the Vermont softwood brand, though.

OH, and BTW, I have the Premier softwood here, and those Stove Chow DO NOT smell anything like the Premiers....I'll wager some $$ that it is a totally different pellet.

imacman said:
j-takeman said:

Their selling them $4.56/bag...$229/ton, but have their "buy more, save more" promotion going on, so as far as I can tell, if you bought 5 tons, they would be $189/ton.

Yes, I looked at the FU bag, and it said "product of canada". As for being a "better pellet", from what I saw of your testing results, I don't want the FU either.

As for what pellet I'd like to try, either the Vermont Wood Pellet, Hamer's Hot Ones, or maybe even Dry Creek......very curious about the Vermont softwood brand, though.

OH, and BTW, I have the Premier softwood here, and those Stove Chow DO NOT smell anything like the Premiers....I'll wager some $$ that it is a totally different pellet.

2 bags will be purchased next trip to the pellet house. I will get 2 bags of the Hamers while I am there. Just in case you score something else! :)

Edit: For what its worth, The Canadain Energex will be a better product than what is made in the USA. Your Premier softwoods were a Canadian pellet. If you can find the Green Bag Energex you will see a very similar product to the Premier softwoods. Energex USA is using open market fiber and didn't fair as well as the Canadian version, Which has a better source of fiber. I am most possitive that the Premeir softwoods said product of Canada on them!

checked my local store, they have Freedom Fuel (they claim it's softwood and comes from NC) and Fireside Ultras, both at $218/ton, no promo right now.

"3. Interesting statement “No trees are cut to make Stove Chow”......if that’s the case, maybe this stuff isn’t wood at all."

Now that's funny! Pellets are made from trees that haven't been cut yet. OK, we know what they mean... still funny.[/quote]

100% white wood... I was hoping they would offer a few colors...

AFAIK or remember is White wood was softwood. Dark wood is hardwood. Kind of a turkey talk for wood burners??

“No trees are cut to make Stove Chow”
That statement usualLEE means that trees were not specificalLEE cut just to make pellets. The trees were cut to make lumber and the byproducts ended up in pellets.

"white wood" in the forest products biz usually means maple or ash.

captiveLEE said:
That statement usualLEE means that trees were not specificalLEE cut just to make pellets. The trees were cut to make lumber and the byproducts ended up in pellets.

Oh realLEE?(sorry I could not resist). Lee thanks for giving us the wood scoop on this. I should have remembered that.

j-takeman said:
AFAIK or remember is White wood was softwood.....

Well, if that stuff is softwood, it's the weirdest smelling softwood I ever smelled. I used to be a woodshop teacher, and know pretty much what different types of woods smell like......this stuff has me baffled. I've been wracking my brain, running up and down the stairs to the basement to smell it again, hoping it would just "hit me", but no luck. :-/

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
AFAIK or remember is White wood was softwood.....

Well, if that stuff is softwood, it's the weirdest smelling softwood I ever smelled. I used to be a woodshop teacher, and know pretty much what different types of woods smell like......this stuff has me baffled. I've been wracking my brain, running up and down the stairs to the basement to smell it again, hoping it would just "hit me", but no luck. :-/

Check Lee's post Ash or Maple. I don't feel so bad as I only burned it, Only worked with pine and fir. Much prefer steel chips to make a living though!

Maybe the smell is illegal substances that instead of being rolled and smoked became pellets for our stoves to smoke. It'll get our stoves HIGH heat. There are going to be people hanging around the chimney cap this winter sucking in the smoke. LOL

I have absolutely no clue what those special leaves do. I must have watched too much Cheech and Chong up in smoke to write this.

I TRY to be a comedian at times.

a couple years ago I purchased Freedom fuel for HD and they smelled like pencil shavings covered in plastic!!!!!!!!!!

captiveLEE said:
....."white wood" in the forest products biz usually means maple or ash.

Thanks for the info lee, but i don't beLEEve these are either one. Curiosity finally got the better of me, so I went down and sliced open a corner of one of jay's bags :lol: to see them and take a pic.

Well, as you can see, they are not WHITE. Also, I can confirm that they are NOT Maple or Ash. I used a lot of both while teaching woodworking (butcherblock tops, bats, etc), and know those smells.

As the pic shows, they are also VERY short.

Attachments

• stove chow.jpg
    stove chow.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,741
imacman said:
captiveLEE said:

Thanks for the info lee, but i don't beLEEve these are either one. Curiosity finally got the better of me, so I went down and sliced open a corner of one of jay's bags :lol: to see them and take a pic.

Well, as you can see, they are not WHITE. Also, I can confirm that they are NOT Maple or Ash. I used a lot of both while teaching woodworking (butcherblock tops, bats, etc), and know those smells.

HEY! >:-(

Seeing as there really a hardwood. Wonder if they were more like the Premiers I was burning? But they were supposed to be more Oak. Kinda dark for ash or maple. I don't think I ever burned an ash pellet!

:lol: I KNEW I'd get a rise outta ya jay with that post :lol: Anyway, just kidding. You get the factory sealed bags.

Yes, they do look a lot like the Premier Softwoods I have.

captiveLEE said:

Actually white wood in the forest products business means just wood. No bark/cambium.

imacman said:
captiveLEE said:

short pellet makes for hotter burn due to surface area available for gassification, ithinx

For what it's worth.....Many years ago when I burned wood I ran out late into the winter. Since the price of seasoned wood was so much higher than green the guy I called told me he'd just deliver me "white wood" which would burn better without being seasoned. He was actually right. I just made sure I had a few pieces lined up near the stove to get a little warm before I put them in. Besides the ones mention I believe birch was included in my delivery.

My HD has Stove Chow for $218/ton. I bought 3 bags to try out. When I burned, I noticed a different smell than what I'm used to (previously burned Hamers and Barefoots which really had no smell). Maybe it was the first burn of the season... not sure. The heat wasn't bad. Haven't had a chance to determine clinkers/fines etc. I may use the Stove Chow for Fall/Spring, and use the Barefoots for winter.

basenjiwarrior said:
Any verdicts in yet on the Stove Chow?

I'm picking up 3 bags tomorrow and will throw in my newbie 2 cents in the mix.

Thanks.

I just fired my stove up yesterday, and am just starting to burn the Stove Chow (2 bags) i bought at HD to test. So far, no problems, but this has been very minimal burning so far.

imacman said:
basenjiwarrior said:
Any verdicts in yet on the Stove Chow?

I'm picking up 3 bags tomorrow and will throw in my newbie 2 cents in the mix.

Thanks.

I just fired my stove up yesterday, and am just starting to burn the Stove Chow (2 bags) i bought at HD to test. So far, no problems, but this has been very minimal burning so far.

Not you too Pete? I thought it was Oct 15th or bust? :cheese:

Me too here(my 3rd day). No testing yet I am just killing a few bags I had open already.

Status
Not open for further replies.