Stove Chow at HD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioburner

Aug 4, 2012
West central Mn
Went in to pay my bill and they had stove chow for $99/T. I caught a salesman and they had 54 pallets in stock. Indeck I could have for $175/T

Reactions: bogieb
Went in to pay my bill and they had stove chow for $99/T. I caught a salesman and they had 54 pallets in stock. Indeck I could have for $175/T
I hope uou bought em all. No $99 per ton deals here in MA. I've hit 6 lowes in the past 2 days and all but 1 laughed at me and thought I was trying to pull a fast one. Ah well the hunt continues

I hope uou bought em all. No $99 per ton deals here in MA. I've hit 6 lowes in the past 2 days and all but 1 laughed at me and thought I was trying to pull a fast one. Ah well the hunt continues

Lowes in Auburn NY is still at $4.98/bag for the good stuff & $3.98 for the cheap stuff.

Fergus falls ,MN
HD pellets.jpg
Now you have proof

HD here is all done for this season and Lowes is $199 a ton for Nations Choice. NC makes heat in my P61 but does it with a big ramp up in flame size, so I have to figure they must not be the hottest pellets. Not too bad on ash though.

Fergus falls ,MNView attachment 177061 Now you have proof
Thanks for posting. Up to now it seemed that only Lowe's had the *ability* to sell a ton of pellets for $99.50/ton. I now have
renewed hope in Home Depot.

Someone has pointed out the word "ability". I will change the word to "willingness".
Willingness to reduce the price in order to move the product, despite about six months later than they
should have, over the past Winter while demand was so weak.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Up to now it seemed that only Lowe's had the ability to sell a ton of pellets for $99.50/ton. I now have
renewed hope in Home Depot.
No one has that "ability", if they want to stay in business for very long. It's called a clearance. At a loss. A good buy for those in the area, but hardly sustainable.

Something a lot of people dont know is that large retailers like HD etc., force their suppliers to go with the "pay by scan" method of purchase. This means HD does not pay for the product until they well it. This even puts the loss burden of the HD employees that dont care for the product on the suppliers hands.

It's similar, but different in some ways, to the grocery stores that "rent" shelf space to product suppliers like potato chips. You'll see the actual chip company stocking the shelves with chips instead of the store employees.

So I called my local HD here in Hillsboro Oregon and they have no pellets in stock. Has nothing to do with temps outside, they just have not brought any in since last fall. Still running stoves of all kinds in the area daily. It'll be at least a month yet, before people go a few days without running a heat source of some kind.

So I called my local HD here in Hillsboro Oregon and they have no pellets in stock. Has nothing to do with temps outside, they just have not brought any in since last fall. Still running stoves of all kinds in the area daily. It'll be at least a month yet, before people go a few days without running a heat source of some kind.
In New England, we had some mild weather late February to early March, making me think we would have
an early, warm Spring. But in the past two weeks and the forecast into the first week of April is freezing temperatures
many nights of the week. Guess I will be running the stove for quite some time yet. The bright side is the long, cold
Spring will benefit the Maple Syrup industry.

HD here changed over to spring items, they are done with pellets for this year. Lowes has sold most of their $3.99 per bag pellets ( ash city pellets, off brand names for the most part) and still want $6.99 for Stove Chow, which they consider " the good stuff". So I went and bought some LGs from a dealer, a known good product. This dealer says he has inventory ( LG and Energex) to start next season off with.

Tractor Supply is in short supply, they shipped most of their inventory to other locations who ran out. And that's good because a lot of those pellets had water damage, they disperse the loss I suppose and we the consumer locally aren't stuck with dealing with these things.

I bet the stores don't load up next year like they did this year. And watch it be a cold winter LOL !!!

Reactions: Orson_Yancey
In New England, we had some mild weather late February to early March, making me think we would have
an early, warm Spring. But in the past two weeks and the forecast into the first week of April is freezing temperatures
many nights of the week. Guess I will be running the stove for quite some time yet. The bright side is the long, cold
Spring will benefit the Maple Syrup industry.
Snow Sunday - so much for picking up the motorcycle from storage and bringing it home !!!

Snow Sunday - so much for picking up the motorcycle from storage and bringing it home !!!
Saturday the Stepson and Grandson showed up here on one of his GoldWings. A bit cold.

Cold is one thing, dressing for it can take most of the sting out. Slick is a whole 'nother story - I had to ride several frosty mornings last fall (no other vehicle to get to work then), and stoplights were not fun with the footing.

The first weekend and first week of April looking cold, rainy, windy. Thought I might shut the stove down this weekend, probably not now. Might even get a little snow . Today hit 65 !!

The first weekend and first week of April looking cold, rainy, windy. Thought I might shut the stove down this weekend, probably not now. Might even get a little snow . Today hit 65 !!
High of 74 here today, but a freeze warning and forecast of 27 tomorrow night. Crazy weather...

Status
Not open for further replies.