Stove Chow @ HD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
Went to HD today to pick up some stain and the pig in me JUST had to look at the pellets. They are selling them for $4.89 a bag. Since it is the frist time I saw them my way I might just have to pick up a bag or 2. Its nice to see the box stores selling something other than Firesides, like in yrs past.

I got a bag yesterday for $4.38. Haven't burned them yet. Good price, but seeing how badly handled the pellets were makes me think I would have a hard time getting a full ton without damage.

A local dealer just dropped Treecycle to $4 a bag $199 a ton. I'm thinking it's going to be tough to beat that and I may bite...

They seemed to do Ok for me. Not a solid cold weather pellet but better than a shoulder. I bought more to pad the stash. Luckily my Lowes stores them inside.

barbcole said:
A local dealer just dropped Treecycle to $4 a bag $199 a ton. I'm thinking it's going to be tough to beat that and I may bite...

Buy 2 -3 bags and test them in your stove first before buying any large quantity.....

Just picked up 2 bag to give them a shot, and boy do they stink, smells like particle board. Also noticed something on the back of the bag ( being sarcastic here), dose this mean I don't have to clean my chimney?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 516
Tried a few bags last weekend, burned ok, about the same as natures heat, didn't notice any abnormal smell, very lill fines/dust in bag, worth it if under $200 a ton.

I'm new -- but I have burned 7 different brands so far (including Stove Chow), and this was the first to form a real clinker. I don't think it was to a large enough degree it would be a serious problem, but all the other brands operating in a similar burn settings didn't do it.

I agree on the particle board smell. I wouldn't describe it as anything bad, but not as pleasant of a "yumm, nice wood" smell as the others.

barbcole said:
I'm new -- but I have burned 7 different brands so far (including Stove Chow), and this was the first to form a real clinker......

Barb, what were the other 6 brands you test burned, and what were your impressions of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.