Stove Chow - Lots of Ash and Clinkers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rexrules

Oct 6, 2012
Picked up two tons of Stove Chow last week and they are nothing like what they have been in the past. Much darker in color and much more ash than ever before.

Also getting clinkers that are hard as a rock, have to break them up with a screw driver before i can even vacuum them out of the stove.

Pile on the left is some chow that I had leftover from last year, pile on the right is the chow I just picked up. Heat is around the same, but I cannot let the PDVC go more than 8 hours before I have to clear the burnpot with the newer bags. Dropped a bag of the older stuff in without making any changes to the stove and was able to get 16 hours before I needed to scrape - probably could have gone a couple more hours too.

Chows have always been Ash City regardless of year they we're produced....
if by clinkers you mean the Hard carbon deposits stuck to the burnpot then yes also.
I scraped many of them with Chows...
Never have been a clean pellet but always good heat and cheap price..
Burned ton/half last winter.
Just finished about 25 bags few weeks ago I bought last February and Although they produce good heat,
I don't think I will buy them anymore.. too much ash Plus Home Depot's " priced to Gouge" this year ticked me off.

Last edited:
I'm getting the clinkers also from this years chows,luckily I only bought 4 bags this year,last year I burned mostly chow

Now that I have burned about a ton of this years Chows, I take back my prior stated forum opinion that they are as good as last year. I agree, they are much more ashy, but I don't have any clinkers.

At Flemington Lowes, I just found some Timber Heat (Dry Creek= Biomaxx Energy, Pittsford NY), white bag, that have much less ash than the Chows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.