Stove Chow Pellet Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhagerty

Jan 10, 2011
Southern NH
So I went through 8 bags of Stove Chow and I have to say I'm very happy with them, very good heat, not as hot as the Cubex I tried but close enough. When you compare the cost it's no contest, $187 a ton for Stove Chow or $275 for Cubex...

Ash ws ok, not much difference from most of my other pellets, in the end I'm not to picky about the ash because I clean at least every week and I much rather have the heat.

I'm going to pick up a ton of Hardwood Heat from TSC tomorrow as I found them to be even hotter than the Stove Chow. I still may pick up a ton of the Stove Chow next week.

Great pellets and as you said, at that price you just cant go wrong. I currently own 4.5 tons of the Chows and will probably buy another one or two before the HD pulls them from the shelves due to spring being "around" the corner. The chows are a huge improvement from last years batch so I want to have enough of them for the next two years, problem is, my wife is about to kick me and the pellets out since we are monopolizing the house. LOL

report's here about bad chow, either light colored or now darker with low heat and lot's of ash, buddy bought 12 bag's at HD in bloomfield ct and say's they aren't as good as hamer's, so i traded a bag of my chow and will report with pic's the difference.

I bought a few bags a few weeks ago that were great in my stove. I went last week and bought 10 bags, and these are not that great.

For $187/ton not including discounts? I am not complaining. Seeing other brands are $210 to $269. Heat has been very good and ash has been better than decent. Would I get more? Yep! :)

chrisasst said:
I bought a few bags a few weeks ago that were great in my stove. I went last week and bought 10 bags, and these are not that great.
light or dark pellet's?

these ones seems a little darker...

Wish that was the case... :coolhmm:

I purchased two tons of Stove Chow last week from Home Depot in Saugus, MA. Burned about six bags so far (three bags from each ton) and every bag seems to contain lighter colored pellets with a mixing of some darker colored pellets.

Typically I burn Oakies, but at $187 per ton I couldn't pass up the Stove Chow.

Status
Not open for further replies.