Stove Chow....something I noticed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
with all the good things I been hearing about stove chow I grabbed 6 bags when i was at my local hd this weekend. all the bags came from the same ton, but what I noticed was 3 of the bags were dark colored pellets which burned very clean and very hot, the other 3 bags had a light colored pellet which were terrible, lots of ash, low heat.......the fire from the dark pellet was almost white with alot of blue flame, the lighter pellet had a very dark flame and had to crank the stove to get any kind of decent heat out of it......just thought i would share in case some of you were looking into gettin these by the ton

Something I will keep an eye out for. I bought a whole ton of them. So far they are all about the same and doing well. On bags 6 so far and the Heat has been dandy!

If I see a difference, I will post some pictures.

I started my 2nd ton this morning. Seem to be burning very well. I've tried a few bags of green team from lowes and something else from tsc. Stove chow is better.

I bought 2 tons of Stove Chow this morning at the Home Depot in Poughkeepsie NY. Price-$187/ton. Delivery is $65 no matter how many tons you purchase. Get them if you need them.

Which HD did you buy from Hemi?, Enfield and Glastonbury are near me.

8 tons of em here from home depot in hyde park. burned 1 ton of them so far, pretty happy. havent run into a light colored bag. these have been dark and smell kinda nice.
burns hot and clean.

what i notice helps is that i bring in 10 bags at a time. these get stacked near the stove (not too close) and kept gently warm. i think by the time i use them they are super dry.

I paid 219/ton but now its 187 and 65 flat fee delivery, i might get 10 more tons.

Hemi, check in the Waterbury HD, they also have them and dropped the price a bit, now $187/ton, i may stop by to get 2 bags to try them again...

I am currently testing pellets for my stove and Stove Chow was slightly better than Instant Heat and New England Wood Pellets. However, Natures Heat from Walmart is by far the best I had so far. Which at 4 USD/bag compared to NEWP for 6.25 USD/bag is quite amazing, Anyway, my Stove Chow was darker pellet and fairly short...for what its worth. I guess different lots out there ?

I stopped in to HD after reading this post over the weekend and was told they have been out of pellets since Friday and the brand they HAD was Pennington. TSC just had theirs on sale for I believe it was $3.69/bag and I missed it! Since I won't get my stove installed til 12/29 I have time to shop around and grab a few bags at a time..hopefully HD will get a load this week!

Have used Lignetics for the past 2 years and figured I'd give Stove Chow a try since the price at Home Creepo was very attractive. Comparatively, I'm not very impressed with them. A lot of ash and not nearly as hot as the Lignetics. I suppose you get what you pay for. After I burn through this ton, it's back to Lignetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.