Stove Chow vs. Fireside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djs_net

Nov 25, 2011
CT
I'm looking to buy some mid-grade/shoulder pellets and these are the 2 brands available in my area for $4.18/bag ($209/ton) at Home Depot. I burned a few bags of the Chows last year with decent results, I've never heard of Fireside and would appreciate any input.

All the good stuff around here is in the $280 - $300 /ton range. On a related note, I mentioned in another thread that there was a Lowes nearby that had Somersets for $209/ton, I bought the last 10 bags and they burn awesome. I wish I coiuld find them in my area, but no dice.

I'm looking to buy some mid-grade/shoulder pellets and these are the 2 brands available in my area for $4.18/bag ($209/ton) at Home Depot. I burned a few bags of the Chows last year with decent results, I've never heard of Fireside and would appreciate any input.

All the good stuff around here is in the $280 - $300 /ton range. On a related note, I mentioned in another thread that there was a Lowes nearby that had Somersets for $209/ton, I bought the last 10 bags and they burn awesome. I wish I coiuld find them in my area, but no dice.

Slight nod to Firesides.

I don't know anything about Firesides, but I've been burning chow for2 days now and they seem pretty decent. Although they do seem pretty ashy. I have to clean it already, but got a new toy for that so its all good :)

Home Depot and Lowes lowered the price to 196/ton, I ordered 4 tons of StoveChow last week. We burned it last season. Stock up now, with rockets in the MidEast, who knows what the price of oil will do.

If you're thinking of getting multiple tons, I'd split the order, 1/2 & 1/2. Both are decent pellets, with a slight edge (but not much) to the Firesides.

Burned Firesides last year and got SC this year because it was the first time I had ever seen it. I prefer the firesides to the chow but I think a lot of it has to do with pellet size. The firesides last year were much smaller than the chow I got this year. I notice a lot of long pellets in the chow whereas the FUs were pretty short, more comparable to the size of Turmans. Just my .02.

I get decent heat from the chow but I think the FUs were a little...and I mean little, better. No drastic differences.

Just scored a couple bags of FU to try out. They are a small pellet and I expect them to put out the heat but burn quick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.