1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove Chow vs. Fireside

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by djs_net, Nov 15, 2012.

1. djs_net

djs_net Member

Loc:
    CT
    I'm looking to buy some mid-grade/shoulder pellets and these are the 2 brands available in my area for $4.18/bag ($209/ton) at Home Depot. I burned a few bags of the Chows last year with decent results, I've never heard of Fireside and would appreciate any input.

All the good stuff around here is in the $280 - $300 /ton range. On a related note, I mentioned in another thread that there was a Lowes nearby that had Somersets for $209/ton, I bought the last 10 bags and they burn awesome. I wish I coiuld find them in my area, but no dice.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Slight nod to Firesides.
  3. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    I don't know anything about Firesides, but I've been burning chow for2 days now and they seem pretty decent. Although they do seem pretty ashy. I have to clean it already, but got a new toy for that so its all good :)
  4. joe_pinehill

joe_pinehill Member

Loc:
    nj
    Home Depot and Lowes lowered the price to 196/ton, I ordered 4 tons of StoveChow last week. We burned it last season. Stock up now, with rockets in the MidEast, who knows what the price of oil will do.
  5. imacman

imacman Guest

If you're thinking of getting multiple tons, I'd split the order, 1/2 & 1/2. Both are decent pellets, with a slight edge (but not much) to the Firesides.
  6. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    Burned Firesides last year and got SC this year because it was the first time I had ever seen it. I prefer the firesides to the chow but I think a lot of it has to do with pellet size. The firesides last year were much smaller than the chow I got this year. I notice a lot of long pellets in the chow whereas the FUs were pretty short, more comparable to the size of Turmans. Just my .02.

I get decent heat from the chow but I think the FUs were a little...and I mean little, better. No drastic differences.
  7. pell it

pell it Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Just scored a couple bags of FU to try out. They are a small pellet and I expect them to put out the heat but burn quick!!