Stove Chow vs Green Supreme

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2014
SE MA
I have a Lowes and a Home Depot right near me. Lowes has the Green Supreme for $237. Home Depot has Stove Chow for $239. Also Tractor Supply has the MWP for about the same price. Which of these pellets would you choose?

I have not burned the Tractor Supply MWP. I think the Stove chow has to burn much better then the Green Supreme.

I vote stove chow !!

Green Supremes - burned two tons in the past two seasons. Consistency issues. First year - Picked up a 1/2 ton a Lowes, they were fine (good heat, low ash). Later I picked up another 1/2 ton at TSC and they were terrible (bad heat, so much ash). Last year's batch gave good heat, but *extreme* amounts of ash. I mean so much ash that after scraping the burnpot clean just before bed, by the time I got up in the morning it was completely buried by a mountain of heavy black ash again causing lazy flame, poor heat output, etc. Don't get me wrong, I was glad to be able to find some in a pinch (tail end of the shortage earlier this year), but I will go out of my way to avoid buying them again. This year, I picked up some MWP during the TSC $25 off sale a few weeks ago. Never burned them before, but folks really seem to like them, I am hopeful they will be great.

whitetailscout - Which home depot has chows? Never burned them before, but would like to try a few bags this winter.

Stove Chow, all the way. Green Supreme are rebagged New England Pellets. Crap IMHO.

Chow's or even better Fireside Ultra!!!, GS is GARBAGE!!!!

I use GS as bedding in my rabbit's cage.

Reactions: ttdberg
Just make sure the people in the house know the difference between between heat pellets and bedding pellets. I know I would react quite negatively if I came home to find someone dumping the DF pellets into the rabbit cage.

Oh yes, we have very clear ground rules in that regard. The good pellets are stored in one area, and the bedding pellets in a completely different area.

Just make sure the people in the house know the difference between between heat pellets and bedding pellets. I know I would react quite negatively if I came home to find someone dumping the DF pellets into the rabbit cage.
I heard that people were so desperate for pellets at the end of the winter, they started burning bedding pellets.

That is absolutely true. The guys at my local TSC love to tell me how folks were resorting to buying the TSC branded horse bedding pellets during the shortage. It's funny how the stories vary though. One will tell me he had to warn all the people that bought horse bedding pellets about the serious negative affects of burning pine pellets, the intense creosote build-up they cause, and so forth, and the next one will tell me how burning the horse bedding pellets is actually an improvement over the typical run of the mill blend or hardwood pellets they happen to carry at the time, and how he has some customers that won't burn anything BUT the horse bedding pellets, etc. Oh, and the horse owners in the area were all mad because the pellet burners were stealing up all their horse bedding. It's all too funny.

I have a Lowes and a Home Depot right near me. Lowes has the Green Supreme for $237. Home Depot has Stove Chow for $239. Also Tractor Supply has the MWP for about the same price. Which of these pellets would you choose?
Which HD has the Chow...Need some shoulder season pellets.::-)

That is absolutely true. The guys at my local TSC love to tell me how folks were resorting to buying the TSC branded horse bedding pellets during the shortage. It's funny how the stories vary though. One will tell me he had to warn all the people that bought horse bedding pellets about the serious negative affects of burning pine pellets, the intense creosote build-up they cause, and so forth, and the next one will tell me how burning the horse bedding pellets is actually an improvement over the typical run of the mill blend or hardwood pellets they happen to carry at the time, and how he has some customers that won't burn anything BUT the horse bedding pellets, etc. Oh, and the horse owners in the area were all mad because the pellet burners were stealing up all their horse bedding. It's all too funny.

That's funny considering probably the best heat pellet on the market is DF which is a pine tree.

Have Somerset's on hand for this year and next year already to go. would love to get a few tons of stove chow for the shoulder season.

Just curious what all this talk about Stove Chow being for the "shoulder season" is all about? Will they not do a good job of heating in the dead of winter?

Yeah I laugh about the talk about Chow. Because two years ago when I put that 25-PDVC in the basement for heating it just when I am down there doing stuff everybody here talked me into buying that three tons of Chow like it was God's answer to cold. ;lol

I have no clue. They are the only ones I have ever burned so I have nothing to compare them to. They burn, the basement gets warm.

Reactions: nayslayer
FSU burn even hotter as there mostly softwood than Chow are hardwood based, but who knows what this year's supply will be..
Last winter when it was very cold under 20 for weeks FSU blew me out with well over 82 degree temps in my living room, even the oak floor's around the stove were very hot., that pellet was Smokin'!

Using a Harman P61,
last winter I burned 2 tons of HD Stove chows[229.00] and 2 tons Energex Hardwoods[250.00]..
The heat was great from both Pellets.. Both kept my poorly insulated house[600 sq down/ 600 sq up] around 74 degrees all winter at half throttle..Full throttle would have been way too much heat for us..
The Ash from the chows was a bit more than the Energex but No clinkers or Sticky residue in the chamber.
Chows are bagged by Energex and many assume they are the same but the smell is sweeter [bagged/burned] and the Energex hardwoods are more consistant in size.
As far as a ' shoulder pellet' I am of the many who don't get into a pellet for every conceivable weather condition. All season pellet if there is such a term. but feel free to expiriment and see what gives.
That said, Chows are HD's Best pellets & glad they charge the same as the other brands they sell.
I stay away from Green Supremes and Presto logs which the sell here often. Burned both once and never again!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.