Stove Chow whadya think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schoondog

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2008
dutchess county, n.y.
I love a deal and I am thinking of going in with a buddy and getting 4 tons of pellets from local HD at $200 per. I have another guy who says 2 years ago thought stove chow was great pellet. I am thinking thats what I'm gonna take. Choices are penningtons, fireside ultras, stove chow. Ultras have been blasted here and I burned several bags of penningtons last year and they were ok. The search here for Stove Chow is pretty mixed, so I thought I would try to get a few more opinions before I pull the trigger. Sure wish they had Rocky Mountains. They had em last year and threw great heat, which is how largely measure pellets. My multi fuel is easy on ash and clunkers so my concern is how much heat dumps out the front. Anyone have an opinion?

Schoondog

Pellets are one of the things that I won't buy from a box store, along with cars (it's coming), dentistry or medical help. Ask an over the road trucker who owns his own rig where he buys his fuel, and I'd be willing to bet the answer won't be "whoever's cheapest." Our pellet stove is the main source of heat in my house, and I don't buy the cheapest fuel I can get because it's as important to me to keep my house warm as it is for an independent trucker to keep his rig on the road.

The old stove chow pellets were very good pellets. I used them for years till they just disapeered. The pellets you would be getting are not the the same ones. From what I understand they went out of business.

The new ones are supposed to be made by Energex and I don't know anything about them YET! I would not buy a large amount without a trial run.

If you buy 2 tons and there junk you may have issues getting them replaced or exchanged. Please try before you buy

just my 2
jay

If stove chow is made by energex to me that means they are ok to burn in a pinch but wouldn't be my first choice.

energex seems to burn dirty in my stove. lots of black soot. I turn the air up as high as I can to keep pellets in the
burn pot but they still blacken up the stove. They work best when I mix them with a better pellet.

OK thanx folks. I am now rethinking a little. Let you know what transpires.

Schoondog

If Energex makes them I would buy, softwood that is, my stove loves Energex softwood.

I burned through 15 bags last year. I like them a lot. Very hot and clean. How hot you say? I have no idea. They burned well with little soot and ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.