Stove Cleaning Tips... Special Tip For Harman Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
I posted this last heating season but I think it bears repeating...

ESEStechtips.jpg

Very interesting. I've just been turning off the stove and letting it cool down before scraping. But I see how this might be a better way to clean gunk out of the burn pot. Thanks for the tip.

OKie Dokie, sounds good...

now how about removing the rust that may have accumulated while in storage.... in this case its a 2006 accentra purchased in 2008, burned 5 months, (one season) and left to sit until I recieved it last week. Stove was mostly clean, but the innards had rust spots here and there.... I sprayed a little wd40 and gave it a scrub after dissasembly... are there tricks to prolong the life of the iron........? Thanks-

Anka

WHY?
Just open the door and scrape....
No need to turn it down
no need to shut it off...
This has been discussed in numerous threads....
And all that harman scraper tool is good for is ........ well...... um....... Decoration.... yeah thats it, it looks good next to the stove :coolsmirk:

RETIRED GVA said:
WHY?
No need to turn it down
And all that harman scraper tool is good for is ........ well...... um....... Decoration.... yeah thats it, it looks good next to the stove :coolsmirk:

I THINK they provide an improved tool with every Harman they sell... don't have any details but I remember hearing something about that when I was in there one day.

I would imagine some folks are a little intimidated opening a stove chugging along with a big, healthy flame...

krooser said:
RETIRED GVA said:
WHY?
No need to turn it down

I THINK they provide an improved tool with every Harman they sell... don't have any details but I remember hearing something about that when I was in there one day.

I would imagine some folks are a little intimidated opening a stove chugging along with a big, healthy flame...

No, it's not "intimidated" but just assuming that the stove is a machine. I would turn it off, scrape the burnpot and run a paper towel over the glass. Then I'd turn it on. It's like checking the oil in your car. Turn off the engine, check the level, put the dipstick back in and go on your way. What I admit I didn't think of was that there is an actual advantage to scraping when the build up is hot.

krooser said:
Good they didn't get a woodstove then...Reloads would be a groan :cheese:

[quote author="Stentor" date="1258537320"]It's like checking the oil in your car. Turn off the engine, check the level, put the dipstick back in and go on your way. quote]
Yeah but that same machine needs to be running when you check your ATF level...Go figure ;-)
It's a simple thing to do, takes all of 30 seconds..
shut it down your way and clean the glass once a week

Hey all,

My dealer, the salesman, just opened the door of an XXV running with a healthy flame, watched the flame go all funny and lazy. Took the Harman tool, pulled the dead ash forwards over the edge, gave the burn pot a quick scrape, ran the tool up the accordian sections quickly - then banged the hell out of the burn pot (on top of the vent holes, just above the ignitor) closed the door and said "that's it". It does let some smoke into the room if it's really roaring when you open the door - but it only takes about 20 seconds and it's fast, easy and efficient. I do it most days and it seems to work ok. I don't think it's a substitute for the weekly cleaning - just kind of a daily tune-up.

clifford

Status
Not open for further replies.