stove clearance help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Pirate

Jun 25, 2008
Orange County, NY
My basement has 6' height from the concrete floor to the bottom of the floor joists. I am researching a new woodstove but notice that many have an 84" clearance shown (which I assume is floor to ceiling??)
Is this the case? The flue thimble is about 24" from the bottom of the floor joist so I am ok there. Im just wondering if there is a floor to ceiling requirement.
If so, do most lumber yards supply materials (fire rock?) To protect the floor from fire and meet clearance?
Thanks

What is the floor material? If it is concrete then no need to protect it. You may be able to put a ceiling heat shield on 1" spacers above the stove to meet the clearance requirements. Check with your inspector.

Search for NFPA-211 in Hearth.com & you will find the acceptable materials
& the reduction in clearance they will provide when used as ceiling protectors
above solid-fuel burning appliance (woodstoves).

Do you already have a stove picked out? If so, what stove?

Search for NFPA-211 in Hearth.com & you will find the acceptable materials
& the reduction in clearance they will provide when used as ceiling protectors
above solid-fuel burning appliance (woodstoves).
Thanks. I will take a look.

Do you already have a stove picked out? If so, what stove?
Not yet. I have been looking on the internet night and day. Not sure what type or size to get. I thought about a nc30 englander but i am concerned that it may be to big for the basement. I dont mind spending more money but just want to make sure I get a quality stove that is the right size. I grew up with the hearthstone that is now in my families hunting camp, but I really dont need anything that fancy in an unfinished basement. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Is this to heat the house above, or just the basement?

If the basement is uninsulated it is going to suck about one third of the heat produced right out the walls. That means one cord out of three is wasted. If this is the case get a larger stove to make up for the loss. How many sq ft per floor are you trying to heat?

i know the question has been probably asked but if i install a heat shield does that reduce the double wall pipe clearnace from 6 inches to 3 inch (assuming a 50% reduction in clearance). Or does reduction not apply to the stove pipe?

Thanks

AA

i know the question has been probably asked but if i install a heat shield does that reduce the double wall pipe clearnace from 6 inches to 3 inch (assuming a 50% reduction in clearance). Or does reduction not apply to the stove pipe?

Thanks

AA
This is my first experience installing a wood stove so I can't answer that. But I have learned that many town inspectors are happy to field anonymous phone calls asking this kind of specific question. They like to head off problems before they arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.