Stove Clearance on Hearth Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I'd like to ask a question after I busted out my stove owner's manual yesterday and a tape measure...

I have a small stove on a relatively large hearth that we installed at the beginning of last season (the stove ,not the hearth) and I have no idea what materials were

used behind the bricks. I have to assume it was built to codes because I bought the house from the chief of Police but you know about assumptions sometimes...

In the manual it states that "walls or wood frame const. covered with non combustible veneersuch as brick are considered Combustible walls"

According to book I should have 24" from rear and sides to combust. wall, or 12" to non... I have 19" on one corner and 22" from other - the rest of the clearances

are no problem. In the pictures of the clearance set ups, my particular set up is not represented (only has kitty cornerd with Vertical connector) which apparently

makes a difference - It only calls for 15" from corners of stove to wall. So, should I be concerned with this set up? I like how it sets back on the hearth pretty far

because I have a 4 yr. old son... The stove is EPA cert. and has heat shields on rear and bottom.

Thanks for any input. Rob

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 200
FWIW, if you were installing an unlisted stove, your default reference for minimum clearances to combustibles would be NFPA 211. The basic requirement is 36". Clearance reductions are possible through a number of shielding configurations. 3 1/2" of masonry (typical bricks) applied directly to a combustible wall with no ventilated airspace between the wall and the masonry facade buys you a 33% clearance reduction, which takes that 36" down to 24" measured from the stove to the combustible material (as if the masonry wasn't there), so the stove could sit 20 1/2" from the surface of the masonry facade. Just tossing that out for your consideration. Rick

Thanks Rick, I went back and checked the actual tag on the back of the stove which also has the clearances and they are slightly less than the manual states and I'm looking good as far as it says on the stove itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.