Stove clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sowers25

Jan 16, 2012
NE West Virginia
I recently had a brick hearth/profile built and wondering how close I can put my stove to the profile?

photo.JPG

This looks like an all concrete environment. If so, as close as you like. However, if there is eventually a partition planned on the right side, then that will become the determining clearance once the wall is up if it contains any combustible materials.

I do plan on building onto the right side, but am going to extend the brick wall on around. Thanks, now I can set my stove

The brick doesn't necessarily equal non-combustible. You have to account for what is behind it. Meaning, if you frame a wall to the right with 2x4s and cover it with sheetrock, that is where you need to measure for your clearance.

jeff_t is correct, bricks have a low "R" factor so heat transits them readily. if there are combustibles behind the bricks "studs" etc, the wall is considered combustible unless the brick wall has a vented airspace between it and the combustible wall or a fireproof insulator between them.

now if its bricks against a cement wall and notning is present within there which is combustible then clearance does not matter cause theres nothing in there to catch fire.

Actually a full width brick is enough to get an NFPA 211 clearance reduction of 33% if allowed by the mfg.. 4" of brick has an R value = .80.

Actually a full width brick is enough to get an NFPA 211 clearance reduction of 33% if allowed by the mfg.. 4" of brick has an R value = .80.

Is that allowed, Mr Manufacturer? I'm asking because we are looking at a vacation property with a stove on installed on a marginal hearth, that will likely be replaced with one of 'your' stoves.

I was under the impression that clearance reductions applied to unlisted stoves.

Is that allowed, Mr Manufacturer? I'm asking because we are looking at a vacation property with a stove on installed on a marginal hearth, that will likely be replaced with one of 'your' stoves.

I was under the impression that clearance reductions applied to unlisted stoves.

im gonna sorta quote from memory here so dont hold me to the letter of the law. according to NFPA211 you can gain a clearance reduction , listed or unlisted of up to 66% or less depending on the structure of the wall protection. some are less than that and i dont remember the whole table as i sit here. BUT and this is a big but, if the listed clearance is less than the stated reduction you CANNOT gain additional reduction. for instance if the 211 says you can reduce by 50% or as close as 18 inches, and the listed clearance of the appliance is already 18 inches or less, you cannot move closer than the listed clearance.

if you have the measurements and all for the hearth you are looking to install a stove on and know the listed clearances (or if its mine and i can look them up) i can tell you if its viable or not but i need to be at work where all my resources are at my fingertips. hard to do from here and i make it a point to never quote things as "gospel" unless i am looking at ink on paper.

the explanation i gave above is likley not accurate which is why i said dont hold me to it, was making up numbers to explain what i do know, the rest is fabrication (the percentages and inches and such).

what i do know and feel confident in saying is that part about the listed clearances and no additinal reductions. i know thats correct.

i'd be more than happy to go over it with you from my office. shoot me an e mail at [email protected] with a good daytime phone number and i'll give you a call to discuss it. i gotta give BG his props, he caught me wrong, im glad he did, and this is a perfect example of why you quote code while you are looking at it.

jeff_t, if you look at the clearance tables for the 30NC in the manual you'll find they list NFPA guided clearance reductions.

30nc clear.PNG

mike, it's a tribute to you that you are checking in at 11pm your time. We are 3 hrs earlier here.

mike, it's a tribute to you that you are checking in at 11pm your time. We are 3 hrs earlier here.

well, im a "hearthie" im not working, im entertaining myself. be warned though, im hitting the sack soon. gonna be a busy day in the office with the cooler weather that moved in over the weekend. we got hammerd today.

I hear ya, the traffic here is setting a record.

Status
Not open for further replies.