Stove Clearances VS. Stove Pipe Clearances and Install Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhildreth

Greetings!

I am new to the forum and have been leveraging the collective knowledge here to install my first wood stove. I just purchased a new Quadrafire Explorer II and I am doing a corner, through wall install. I am a little confused on one of the specs listed in the install manual for this stove.

The install manual stats that if it is a through wall install and you are using a 90 degree elbow, there should be 26.25 inches between the ceiling and the stove pipe. When I put the thimble in, I used the double wall stove pipe clearances and exceeded those at 12 inches. In addition, I am using two 45 degree elbows for the connection instead of a 90 degree.

My question is this. Since I am using double wall stove pipe and the clearances there are at least 6", do any of you anticipate this being a problem? I am including some pics of the install so far.

stove.png 2014-09-21 13.21.17.jpg 2014-09-21 16.02.47.jpg 2014-09-21 16.47.47.jpg 2014-09-21 17.00.50.jpg 2014-09-21 17.02.35.jpg 2014-09-21 17.04.16.jpg 2014-09-21 17.04.21.jpg 2014-09-22 20.14.21.jpg 2014-09-27 11.32.58.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Horiz double-wall needs to be at least 8" from the ceiling. 6" is the wall clearance. The manual appears to have a printing error. I would contact Quadrafire and ask for a written clarification for inspection purposes. It looks like the Cumberland Gap has it right for double-wall. It list H as 8", but then they screwed up with the single-wall giving it a listing of 10.5 which is way too close. Quadrafire needs a serious proof-reading of their clearances documentation.

Calling Quadrafire is the first thing I did. They were pretty much clueless and just recited the install manual. The support person couldn't talk about anything in detail other than what was in the manual. They even said that the install I was doing was not supported because it wasn't in the manual (using 45 degree elbows instead of a 90 degree elbow). Pretty frustrating.

That is appalling. I am really concerned about the single wall clearance I randomly found for the Cumberland Gap. Time to write Coleville and get a person engaged that knows what they are talking about.

How much clearance will there be above the double-wall connector to the ceiling in your installation?

That is well within the pipe specified safety range. You should be good to go.

I heard back from Quadrafire and they couldn't give me a straight answer on the clearance question. I was referred to my local dealer. After a 30 minute conversation, he agreed that the specs listed for this install seemed off and would do some research of his own.

Later that day, the local dealer called me back and said that the manufacturer simply stated that the specs listed was the configuration they used during their certification testing for this stove. He also stated that Quadrafire mentioned that there wasn't any reason to test with those clearances, and "they are what they are".

So, if the inspector is forced to use these specs and not the stove pipe spec, I am basically screwed here and would need to rip out my install and lower the thimble another 14 inches. Seems crazy to me.

Maybe then you could put a real header in there where you cut that stud.

Passed inspection today. The inspector stated today that he uses the stove clearances for the stove and hearth and the specs from the pipe manufacturer for the clearances from the pipe. Anyway the stove install is complete and passed both the insurance inspection as well as the building inspection. Even without a real header ;)

Reactions: wpgibson
Status
Not open for further replies.