stove clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinles

Apr 21, 2008
Middleville ny
Why does manual say that my clearances cam be closer in a mobile home? I does not make sence. It would make life easer if I could use mobile home clearances.

clearance2.jpg

clearance1.jpg

Why does manual say that my clearances cam be closer in a mobile home? I does not make sence. It would make life easer if I could use mobile home clearances.

Hi Les,

going to assume that your question refers to your refurbished Lopi?

Nice job by the way ;-)

If so, what model Lopi?

I cannot read the fine print that you posted but I'm going to **guess** that mobile home installations have requirements, such as double wall pipe, that are not required in a non-mobile installation.

Ken

Many mobile home installations require that the chimney go all the way down to the stove - meaning that the stove actually supports the chimney. In that case, the clearances can often be closer since it is usually the stove pipe which makes the stove go our further (in conventional installs).

Yes it is the old refurb lopi answer non EPA. I did a little more reading in the manual and webmaster hit it on the button. also I bult my hearth for 17" of clearance from the front now I am reading in the forums that 18" is required and I am going have to add on to it, that sucks. what diference is inch going to make? maybe I will just get extra wide non combustable molding to go around the tile. I dont know, I will think of somthing.

les said:
]... also I bult my hearth for 17" of clearance from the front now I am reading in the forums that 18" is required and I am going have to add on to it, that sucks. what diference is inch going to make? maybe I will just get extra wide non combustable molding to go around the tile. I dont know, I will think of somthing.

Unless your installation must pass inspection code for a permit / insurance, forget it.

My pre-epa Fisher sits in an alcove where it is only 25" from an oak 4x4 that is the molding entrance to the dining room.

According to official spec, 36" is the minimum to combustionables.

After nearly 30 years that oak 4x4 looks the same as its mate on the other side, which is 48" further away.

If you must pass inspection then buy a cheap stove board for the inspection.

http://www.fireplaceessentials.com/c116/Black-Stove-Board-and-Hearth-Extenders-p31.html

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316579_200316579

And here is a guy that will give you a hearth pad for free

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/fur/701933187.html

Good luck with it.

The stove board is a perfect idea thanks a lot. I know I don’t need a permit, I live way out in the sticks but as far as my insurance goes I just got new insurance and they did not even ask how I heated my house. They came and did a walk around the outside took some pictures and left never even came in, but I should contact them anyways and see what they want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.