STOVE CRACKED. Now what?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I went to fire up my stove this morning and I noticed a crack about an inch long on the perimeter of the door cutout - exactly under the handle latch.

After I got the stove going the crack became barely visible - due to the metal expansion.

Now what? Do I:
- make believe it's not here and continue burning on my merry way as long as it doesn't pose a problem?
- begin my search to buy a new stove?

It's a Regency 3100 (about 15 years old) that I bought second hand on craigslist. Great stove. I love it and prefer not to replace it, but I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the winter frantically searching for a new stove. I burn 24/7.

Help with suggestions would be enormously appreciated.

- PICs to follow.

I also got a crack earlier in the winter. If it does not enlarge as long as no smoke comes out of it I would do nothing.

For the time being, you can drill a small (~1/8" or smaller) hole right at the end of the crack, which should keep it from propagating. Rick

Bigg_Redd said:
Friggin' weld it!

Is that something like Mig welding?

Here's what it looks like.
I'm afraid it's going to spread because it's exactly where the handle latches on the stove body. Usually I give it a good strong close, but I didn't think I was strong enough to crack steel. I have a welder, but not much welding experience. Would I weld right along the crack?
I'd be afraid to drill a hole there.

Is this a sign that other parts of my stove may be weak, too?

Attachments

• stovecrack.jpg
    stovecrack.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,852
  • stoveCrack---.jpg
    stoveCrack---.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,914
I don't think these things tend to spread. Normally, it is a stress that is relieved by the crack....

Either do nothing...or a bit of furnace cmt on the inside - or get it welded.....or.......
if the inside of it is flat, you can bolt a mending plate back there....just drill a two holes and countersink them on the front, use maybe #8 ss stove bolts (they are harder), and run them through the plate and use nuts on the inside.

Looks like it is already spreading, crack goes out horizontal from cutout than turns downward 90 degrees. Like Fossil said, get a sharp bit 1/8" or so, and drill the end of that crack, it will stop it from going any further. make sure you drill it at the end/ get a magnifying glass and take a good look

That is a easy fix for a welder, If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself , hire it out. Should not be too much money.

I do not want to get into any welding specifics, as the last thread about welding got a little out of hand and the mods closed it. But trust me that is a easy fix ( assuming that is sheet/plate steel and not cast)

Elderthewelder said:
Looks like it is already spreading, crack goes out horizontal from cutout than turns downward 90 degrees. Like Fossil said, get a sharp bit 1/8" or so, and drill the end of that crack, it will stop it from going any further. make sure you drill it at the end/ get a magnifying glass and take a good look

That is a easy fix for a welder, If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself , hire it out. Should not be too much money.

I do not want to get into any welding specifics, as the last thread about welding got a little out of hand and the mods closed it. But trust me that is a easy fix ( assuming that is sheet/plate steel and not cast)

Elder, I too thought it had turned down, but if you enlarge the first pic & take a close look, I think that downward artifact is something other than part of the crack. I think a small hole will prevent it from getting longer, and I agree, It's an easy fix for a competent welder. Rick

I'd clean it up and mig weld it. Agree with others, a competent welder will have no issue with that repair.

The crack is not turning down. That's a discoloration.

Here's my barrage of questions:
What's the "best" fix (not easiest), drilling a hole or welding?
If I drill a hole do I drill it at the very tip of the crack end, or just past it?
I'd like to try welding it myself if that's the best way to go. Do I just lay a bead along the crack?

Do these cracks tend to be isolated occurances, or a sign that my stove has seen better days, and where's there's one, they'll likely be more?

And finally a thank you. You guys are like cops. When you need them, it sure feels good they're there. You guys are great. I can't thank you guys enough.

Edit: No access to the inside of the crack. There's a steel plate in the way.
Edit 2: It's a steel stove.

You should drill the hole centered on the end of the crack.

Depending on the metal thickness, you might want to grind out the crack some to get a "V" grove for penetration.

Better to have a crack in steel than cast iron.

Good luck,
Bill

If you choose to weld, you will definitely want to grind a vee in the crack before welding, then grind the surface flush so that the door gasket still seals tightly. Is there really no access inside of the stove to the crack? I would think it would help if you could get a small bead on the backside as well.

BeGreen said:
If you choose to weld, you will definitely want to grind a vee in the crack before welding, then grind the surface flush so that the door gasket still seals tightly. Is there really no access inside of the stove to the crack? I would think it would help if you could get a small bead on the backside as well.

Grinding a path for the weld is a great idea - but will grinding weaken an already weak area?
No, no access to the back of the crack- there's a thick vertical steel support covering the entire area in the back

fossil said:
For the time being, you can drill a small (~1/8" or smaller) hole right at the end of the crack, which should keep it from propagating. Rick

What about the hole? What would you use to seal it? (no access to back of crack)

Elderthewelder said:

I think I'm going to give a try at welding it? Please, please give welding specifics. If I weld, should I drill the hole first or is that not necessary?

I'd drill the hole, grind the crack down about half the thickness of the metal, then fill the hole and groove with weld and grind flush. I wouldn't worry about welding from the back, the point of grinding the crack is to get better penetration through to the other side. You'd get another 15 years out of that repair. Iron is weakened by welding, but steel not so much. No worries. What kind of welder are you using?

madrone said:
I'd drill the hole, grind the crack down about half the thickness of the metal, then fill the hole and groove with weld and grind flush. I wouldn't worry about welding from the back, the point of grinding the crack is to get better penetration through to the other side. You'd get another 15 years out of that repair. Iron is weakened by welding, but steel not so much. No worries. What kind of welder are you using?
Not the welder thing again? :)

fossil said:

Rick, can you type "Make biggerer and more worser" instead of propagating? Propagating is when my fence door to the back yard wont stay open and a shove a rock under it to prop it open.

oldspark said:
madrone said:
Not the welder thing again? :)

:bug:

In all seriousness, any welder will do it. No opinionating needed on this one.

I'd use a laser though, if it were my stove. ;-P

I agree this is an easy fix for a welder. If you have no or very little experience this may be a very trying repair.

It looks like Regency has a lifetime warranty on the firebox from what I read on their site. Likely, it is for the original owner. Maybe the original owner would work with you, but that could be a hassle. Probably easier just to weld it. If you are unsure what you're doing, pay to get it welded. Even a regular furnace needs repair/service call from time to time.

RonB said:
It looks like Regency has a lifetime warranty on the firebox from what I read on their site. Likely, it is for the original owner. Maybe the original owner would work with you, but that could be a hassle. Probably easier just to weld it. If you are unsure what you're doing, pay to get it welded.

Just got off the phone with Regency. You're right, they offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner - which I'm not.

Otherwise, they confirmed what all you guys told me. Drill a hole, grind the crack, and smooth it down. He said it's generally a good idea to check around the stove for cracks at the end of the season.

I was shocked when I first saw the crack and didn't think straight. It's a steel box. Weld where necessary and keep going. I'm going to find an experienced guy to do it.
Thanks again. I love you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.