Stove Dealer Sales People...Shaking my Head

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Had a few extra minutes today after lunch so I decided to stop into a stove shop. The sales person started telling me how his stoves burned very clean. Then he mentioned all the stoves at Home Depot and Menards are like "old air tights" and they burn dirty thats why they are cheap. Then he started saying many manufacturers will soon be going back to catalytic style stoves. That was when I had enough BS and I quietly left. Why would a sales person do this? Makes no sense.

Then he started saying many manufacturers will soon be going back to catalytic style stoves.
That is true many are going to cats and hybrids and i know that many of the box stores do still sell epa exempt stoves that do burn dirty so really not total bs at all

That is true many are going to cats and hybrids and i know that many of the box stores do still sell epa exempt stoves that do burn dirty so really not total bs at all
True, more cats with the new EPA limits on emissions. Now if the guy really said "all the stoves at Home Depot and Menards are like "old air tights" and they burn dirty thats why they are cheap," then that's BS; They may not burn as clean, but don't burn as dirty as an old smoke-blower. They are only cheap because they are cheap. ==c

Now if the guy really said "all the stoves at Home Depot and Menards are like "old air tights" and they burn dirty thats why they are cheap," then that's BS; They may not burn as clean, but don't burn as dirty as an old smoke-blower. They are only cheap because they are cheap.
Absolutely they do sell some that burn pretty clean so if he said all of them burn dirty he is full of it but i know tractor supply still sells allot of epa exempt ones hell they sell the boxwood piece of crap and lowes and hd sell some old style hot air furnaces that burn dirty as well

I personally visited 10 stores and phoned another 5 before I finally made a decision and that decision was based on the information I got from this forum, not from stores. I'm sure there are lots of great stores that sell wood stoves but I have yet to find one. This industry is full of people spewing knowledge based on their own very limited experiences.

That's why so many posts here state, "find a really good store/installer and trust their knowledge"

We should have a sticky "Myth Busters"

Cats stoves are crap
Pine causes all the creosote
Oak seasoned one year is dry
Don't tell the insurance company when you install this
The smaller stove is all you're going to need

Reactions: edyit
Pine doesn't cause creosote? You wouldn't belive how many people wouldn't burn pine here in ct because they think it is a cause of bad things.

Pine doesn't cause creosote? You wouldn't belive how many people wouldn't burn pine here in ct because they think it is a cause of bad things.
It is the same here i agree with all of those points but the oak thing it is possible to get is dry in a year but it has to be split small top covered stacked single rows and stacked loosely

Oak seasoned one year is dry? That's being lenient on them. Around here, oak seasoned one year would probably be rotten in there opinion:)

Anything the "wood guy" says is seasoned, is seasoned.

Reactions: tarzan
The shop I got my summit from tried very hard to sell me a quad 4300 and tried to steer me away from PE and went as far as to say I would get just as much heat for just as long out of a 2 cu.ft. Fire box as a 3cuft firebox and be able to use it for primary heat, which is what the summit does for us now. I told him I researched which stoves to look at here and he told me not to believe everything I read on the internet. Of course he also got me a stove with an ash drawer when I ordered one without , stubborn guy

he also got me a stove with an ash drawer when I ordered one without
Well, if it works decently you might end up thanking him, but let's not open that can of worms yet again... ;lol

Reactions: Osagebndr
Sounds like Quad may have had a dealer sales incentive program going.
I'd let that ash drawer come out of his paycheck, not mine.

The stove store I bought mine from in Middle Tn has been in biz for almost 40 yrs, They sell almost every brand, which was good cause I wanted to compare a few. Never tried to sell me anything I didn't want :) (except I still think the Buck top adapter should have come with the stove, not another 99 bucks Lol )

They had an over abundance of quads, which I also like but not as much as PE . I like me a good warranty!

Status
Not open for further replies.