Stove door fails dollar bill test??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnargal

Dec 27, 2015
Columbia, MO
I have a brand new Quadra-fire 3100 LE. My avatar is a picture of the stove burning completely shut down. I checked the air controls and they work fine but my door fails the dollar bill test. That is, I can easily pull out a bill from the door when it is shut and latched. I think that must be why I cannot shut the fire down any further. I conclude that the handle needs to be adjusted. I thought I knew how to do that but cannot tighten the nut on the handle any tighter. So what am I doing wrong?

Is this your handle assembly?
Is it assembled correctly?
You should be able to remove one washer (or more) to
get the door to tighten against the stove face

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-17_13-46-37.png
    upload_2016-1-17_13-46-37.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 283
I have the fiber handle shown below. Door is hot now but I can only see one washer. The assembly shows three washers. Is it common to have to adjust the handle after less than 48 hours of burning?
my stove handdle.jpg

Thanks Bob. I guess the dollar bill test is the real deal. I'm going to let the fire burn down, dis-assemble the handle and remove a washer. I'll report back. I don't think there is anything else causing my fire to burn that hot when shut down.

You can also, carefully, take needle nose pliers or tweezers and kinda pull, tug and fluff the door gasket in the areas the bill slips through.

You can also, carefully, take needle nose pliers or tweezers and kinda pull, tug and fluff the door gasket in the areas the bill slips through.
That would at best be a very short term fix. If it fails the test the latch needs adjusted or gasket replaced. Since this is a new stove i would say it needs adjusted. We always set up the latches so they are all but to tight at first so when the gasket compresses it is right. That usually works but we occasionally have to go back and adjust a door after a week or two.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.