Stove Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
I did my stove gasket a couple of years ago and am going to do it again this year. The one area I recall having an issue was the two ends of the gasket. Is there a "trick" to getting them to not fray(sp) and come apart? Let me know if you need more details as to what I am trying to explain.

Thanks All.

I like to cut the gasket a little long and then use a pencil to tuck the ends back into the middle of the gasket core. I tuck in about 1/2 to 3/4" on ech end. Also, I like the seam to be in between the hinges. I add a dab of gasket cement to join the two ends. I've always had good luck with putting it there.

Thanks Jeeper! Been sitting hear waiting for someone to respond with gasket cement in hand... :)

You bet!

I've also noticed if I wear disposable latex gloves in never get any on me, but if I don't it's all over my hands, my pants, the hearth...

Guess I should have waited for the disposable gloves tip.... and also another note; do not let one year old son near you while doing this job. ;-P

Yeah - I could also offer that same tip but with a Bernese Mtn Dog pup... Although she's a pretty good site boss at splitting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.