Stove door Lube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
The catch and handle mechanism on my Osburn began to make some noise and not operate as smooth as it did last year. Clearly in need of lubrication, but what the heck do you lube a wood stove with. So...I tried spraying the catch, the little ball bearing thing, and the place where the handle is attached to the door (actually the handle is a large screw so it can be adjusted) with Pedros dry lube. Pedros is a staple of the household for lubing my bike chain and has PTFE in it, so the expectation is that all the volitals do evaporate leaving the lubrication behind. It worked like a charm. So far 3 days of burning and still working great. Today I added a little powdered graphite for good measure to the door hinges and the catch mechanism.

This was all done with the stove cold as a stone...uhh wait..it occurs to me that around here that could be 600 degrees...hmm o.k. stove at room temp.

Sounds like it would work although teflon WILL burn and produce nasty fumes if you get it hot enough. (there are restrictions on where one can use teflon insulated wire for this reason) although "hot enough" is hotter than most other common lubes.

The other lube I'd consider using is high temp Never-seize, although that is messier and pretty much requires that you disassemble the parts being lubed so as to apply it directly.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.